VIII

8 | The ball

Purebloods loved to be with each other.

It was convenient in many ways, the main reason being to preserve the purity of the blood. Often several families made agreements and promised their children so as to entrap them in a marriage of interests.

It was not unusual for promised families to spend numerous days together but it was still bizarre to see so many different families gathered in the Malfoy family's living room. Or at least for Althea, Regulus on the other hand had spent quite a bit of time in her cousin's future husband's house in recent weeks.

They were all awaiting the arrival of the dark lord who hadn't bothered to turn up on time but when he did the soft chatter fell silent and all eyes were on him.

As soon as she saw him Althea's eyes widened in surprise. Tom Riddle was descending the stairs with his usual composure, his blank indecipherable gaze was not fixed on anyone in particular but when someone crossed his eyes for a brief moment it made their head immediately snap down. She still didn't know whether in respect or fear.

To say he was dashing was an understatement and the word handsome would never do him justice. Tom Riddle was divine that night in the most corrupt way. With his black suit, polished shoes and rings decorating his long, pale fingers, he looked exactly like what he was. A man of power.

The living room was dimly lit but the light that was there cast a shadow over his face that made his high cheekbones look sharper than usual. The light of sinister amusement came back on as his eyes settled on Regulus who couldn't stop himself from shuddering.

When he reached the end of the stairs both Bellatrix and Narcissa approached him but he did not give them a glance, passing them and leaving them disappointed. Althea and Regulus had two very opposite feelings as their lord approached, if the first felt pride, the other was incredibly dissatisfied with the Lord's choice to give them his attention.

When he stopped in front of them he looked down on them with indifference and superiority. Although their height difference was not particularly great, both of them suddenly felt much smaller. Tom Riddle's presence was suffocating, Althea might have called it intoxicating.

One side of his mouth lifted briefly when he saw the dress Althea was wearing and if she hadn't been extremely focused on them she probably wouldn't have noticed it given how quickly it had disappeared.

"I trust you Regulus that you will keep an eye on her and not allow her to ruin the mission."

And if Althea was getting lost in his scent and how good he looked that night, any admiration for the man disappeared in the blink of an eye and it was replaced by a growing irritation. For a moment she had forgotten the main reason she was going to the ball with Regulus but soon she was reminded of Riddle's lack of trust in her. Even more annoying when put in association with the fact that he had given her the mark the very day she had joined his forces and had been immediately honest about everything without trying to trick him.

She bit her tongue, not wanting to risk saying something inappropriate and then being severely punished as a result. She merely nodded and looked away from him.

Soon the orders were reiterated and permission was given to make their way to the Rosier residence. Regulus squeezed Althea's hand in comfort and gave her a smile of encouragement, to which she clung tightly.

Once they had materialised in front of the imposing mansion Althea took a second to admire the complex architecture. Several pureblood families could afford eccentric lifestyles but the Rosier family was certainly one of the wealthiest, so it was no surprise that the Lord was so keen to have them on his side. Their money would be more than useful to the foolish cause.