Chapter 12

"Real love is always chaotic.You lose control; you lose perspective. You lose the ability to protect yourself. The greater the love, the greater the chaos. It's a given and that's the secret." Jonathan Carroll, White Apples

---

Chapter Twelve

“Is it really possible for one person to this happy?” whispered Alexandra gleefully.

Alexandra had stolen into Imogen’s bedroom after the family had retired, as she so often did, but this time under happier circumstances.

At the conclusion of the evening, Imogen could not bear to stand any longer. Just as soon as their guests had taken their leave, she had collapsed in a nearby chaise. Her good brother had carried her upstairs, as he had done so often in her adolescence.

The sisters were cuddled together underneath the duvet. Alexandra’s elated expression was very evident in the flickering candlelight.

“Indeed, so it seems,” Imogen said lethargically, though smiling. She was very happy for her sister. “Did he make you an offer?” she asked curiously. Toward the end of the evening, she did see Joaquín subtly steal away with Alexandra for a brief moment. Had Imogen had the energy, she would have followed them to act as her sister’s chaperone, but alas, her wearied legs would not allow it.

Alexandra’s smile lessened. “No … not exactly. He merely told me that he was very pleased that I was unattached and he looked forward to becoming better acquainted with me.”

“Well, that is good, is it not?” Imogen said encouragingly. She had not expected Joaquín to propose immediately. After all, they did not know each other that well. The attraction was there, now they needed to talk, to decide if a marriage was what they both desired. “If a man wants to know your mind, Allie, then he has a true heart. How many gentlemen have we met that have merely seen Papa’s bankbook when noticing us in a ballroom?”

Alexandra smiled and nodded. “Of course, you are right. You always see sense, Imogen.” Alexandra began to chew on her lip nervously. “But what if he does not like my mind? He desires a queen, does he not? What if he does not see those qualities in me? What do I know about being royal?”

Imogen could see the worry and stress in her sister. “Allie,” Imogen said firmly, “what you forget is that this is an opportunity to know Joaquín better for yourself. You are under no obligation to accept him. You might find that he is not the man for you after all this. He is handsome, to be sure, but will he make you a fine husband? You must endeavour to answer these questions before any talk of an engagement. He does desire a queen. He requires a queen. You must also decide whether or not that life will suit you.” Imogen would not pretend that Alexandra accepting Joaquín, that her leaving England for Spain, would sadden her greatly. Alexandra was her twin, and they had not been far from each other since birth.

Alexandra rolled on to her back and sighed. “He would make any lady a fine husband, Imogen, of that I am sure. But I will, as you say, endeavour to know him. I shall not make any hasty decisions, I promise you. I will be sensible, as you are.”

“Good,” replied Imogen.

Alexandra turned her head on the pillow to look at Imogen. “What were you and Colonel Spencer discussing so intimately in the corner? It did not escape my notice. He pays you particular attention. I did notice this.”

Imogen merely shook her head, tangling her hair on the pillow beneath her. “He feels sorry for me, Allie,” she explained. “He wanted to help me, and he has. He is kind.”