Chapter 13

"What are men to rocks and mountains?" Jane Austen, Pride & Prejudice

---

Chapter Thirteen

“Mama, please,” begged Imogen, “let my ride on my own.”

Bess pursed her lips and thought for a moment.

Imogen did not want to ride with her father. It would be utterly humiliating considering the fact that the only other pairs were mothers and their infants. She was much stronger now. She could manage an hour’s ride north to view the peaks.

Her family were gathered at the stables, readying their prospective steeds. Both David and Elena had their daughters strapped to their chests. Even Gabriela had done the same with Elin, although she was being accompanied by a nanny and two ladies to help her.

“Alright,” agreed Bess after a few minutes of thinking, “but I want a lead rope tied to your father’s horse just in case. If your horse spooks, I want him there to help you.”

If that was her mother’s condition then she would agree to it. Anything to be able to ride on her own.

“Yes, of course,” Imogen agreed. “Thank you, Mama.”

Moon, the horse that she had sat atop once before, was saddled for her by one of the stable hands. Imogen was very excited. This was the first time that she had ever properly ridden a horse. She would often watch as her family rode off into the woods to go on trail rides, but now she could finally join in.

Moon and her father’s horse were joined by a lead rope, while Emmett lifted Imogen onto the horse’s back. She felt a sense of power as she sat atop Moon. Powerful was not something that Imogen had felt very often in her life. Her family all joined her atop their horses and Emmett began to lead them in the direction of Salisbury Hall so that they could collect the rest of their family.

They walked their horses at a steady, but slow pace. Imogen knew that her father was keeping that pace for her benefit but she could not help but want to kick in her heels and move Moon into a canter. While she was not an experienced horsewoman, she felt very safe atop the docile animal. Though she knew if she did this, her father would interpret this as Moon being spooked. Emmett would pull Imogen from Moon and would no doubt turn around to keep her home.

No, if she needed to walk Moon, then she would. Imogen was determined not to miss out on any more family gatherings purely because of her strength.

On the journey to Salisbury Hall, they were joined by their family from Montrose who were along for the trip as well. As Moon and Emmett’s horses were joined, Imogen rode beside Emmett and her uncle as they discussed very dull subjects, often to do with land or finance.

Behind her, Imogen could hear her cousins giggling, and she longed to join them, but riding alongside her father would be worth it once they reached the Peak District.

Imogen was thankful when Salisbury Hall finally came into view. She was also glad to see that her family were all ready to leave. She spied picnic baskets on the backs of several of the horses, just like the ones that the Wildes had brought. She was sure the Peak District had never before seen such a feast, nor a family, like the one that was approaching.

Imogen noticed that Simon was dressed casually for the ride. It was the first time that she had not seen him in his red coat. He looked very handsome in his dark coat, sturdy riding trousers and a pair of shiny boots. Like the other gentlemen, he wore a top hat fit for the occasion.