Chapter 22

"I've been fighting to be who I am all my life. What's the point of being who I am, if I can't have the person who was worth all the fighting for?" Stephanie LennoxI Don't Remember You

—-

Chapter Twenty — Two

If Simon had returned to Derbyshire on his own, then he would have only stopped to water his horse. It would have taken him a week at the absolute most to reach Salisbury Hall. But now he had two young children, and everything seemed to take twice as long.

They needed to stop every few miles to stretch their legs. They wanted to visit every shop in the villages they passed through to fill their pockets with sweets. Then they would return to the carriage and he would need to stop a mile or so later so that they could run around.

Sugar, apparently, energised children. He was constantly learning. They travelled farthest when the children were asleep, often in awkward positions in the carriage, and more often than not, they were lying across him in some way.

But Simon did not mind at all. They were already his. His daughter and his son. It was as though something had dawned on him overnight. These two little people were his. He was their guardian, their champion, their knight, and their friend ... and whatever else he could be for them.

Fatherhood was surreal, and though he was still learning, he was getting the hang of it. He was not looking forward to having to discipline the children. A situation had not arisen yet, but he knew it would.

Simon was glad when Salisbury Hall finally came into view. It had been such a long trip home, and he was happy it was over. It was time to start his new life.

Of course, there would be a few difficult conversations to have first. He would have to seek James' permission to have the children at Salisbury. He had not been too happy when Simon had informed him that he had given their family name to an illegitimate child. And now he had Hannah, too.

Then there was Imogen. Her approval was something that he needed to secure. If she did not approve, if she was unwilling to accept Harry and Hannah, then he did not know what he would do.

He could not stay in Derbyshire. It was strange how involved this family was in each other's lives. If Imogen rejected him, then he would still see her very often.

Simon suddenly thought of the land that the Queen had gifted him upon his retirement. He had a title, a manor house, land, and tenants on the Albury estate in Kent. He, Harry and Hannah could go there if his family, and Imogen, were not receptive.

When the carriage came to a stop, he did not need to open the door, as the footmen and the butler at Salisbury had already surrounded the carriage. Hannah was already standing up at the window, peering up the house with excited eyes. He could just imagine her bouncing out of the carriage and tripping on the stairs. He could see it clear in his mind

That was another skill Simon had acquired during his brief time as their father. He had the ability to imagine the absolute worst happening to Harry and Hannah in any situation. It was actually quite horrid.

Simon pulled Harry into his arms as Hannah jumped out of the carriage.

"Hannah, hold my hand please," Simon requested. "I do not want you tripping on the steps and breaking your head." He could see the blood now. It was sickening. Did the worrying ever go away?

Hannah obediently stopped and waited for him to climb out of the carriage with Harry. Simon balanced Harry's weight on his forearm and then took Hannah's hand so that the three could climb the stairs together.