Chapter 2

September 2020

September 2020

Everything changed since Vincent was pronounced dead at the scene and it only had been two months since I moved to Miami Beach, Florida. Leaving Italy wasn't in my plans for the next several years and certainly it was my least expected destination. Italy held too many memories, it forced me to leave everything behind, once again. This constant loop of misery seemed perpetual and I cannot wrap my head around what the reason is that causes this chaos in my life.

Rumors spread quickly and everybody in the world knew who killed the greatest mafioso boss, Vincent De Vitto. The thing is, nobody knows what I look like, except "the devil," himself. The majority of the underground world who didn't have any idea who I was, believed La Ombra was a man, those fools. None of gangsters suspected La Ombra was a woman. They couldn't bear the thought of a female being more skilled than a man as an assassin. Males have always been underestimating women to stroke their egos.

People from all over the world attended his funeral, even his enemies. Vincent wielded such immense power. Since he was a hotel mogul, the media continuously posted articles about him reporting about his legitimate hospitality and hotel undertakings and speculating on his many illegal business endeavors. Unfortunately, his business enterprises effected global businesses worldwide. I always chose not to deal with any of his business ventures, as I had too much on my own plate. The task of his murder was complete, as required.

After Vincent's death, I decided to learn Italian. I had come to realize it would be better to be aware of what the sick bastards like him talked about.

Surely, I always knew that my nickname meant "The Shadow." I always am close to my prey, so close that it never realizes that it is in the lion's den. I can only stand out with the help of light so in the darkness I am unrecognizable. I am honored to have been given this title, yet I still feel disgusted by the realities of our underground world.

 I am honored to have been given this title, yet I still feel disgusted by the realities of our underground world

10 April 2020, New York, NY

Tonight is the night I meet with my client to receive the particulars of the "hit." He implied the deal was going to be quite lucrative and I would have to work harder than everyone else who wanted the target dead. No way was I willing let some random "wanna be a gangsta" take this deal away from me.