eight

I was fuming leaving William's office. I couldn't believe he treated me that way. Why did he refuse my help? He could clearly have used it. Our conversation had strengthened my feeling that he was hiding something. Could he possibly be protecting the creature? That didn't make any sense. Or he simply was an asshole who'd rather let his pride get himself killed than accept my help. For some reason, my heart was leaning towards the latter.

He might not care enough about the killings to do something about it, but I did. And I wouldn't leave until the creature was dead. I spent the next day going through the police and autopsy reports again, looking for anything I might have missed. Because I knew I had missed something. A creature couldn't kill people without leaving any trace. It was simply impossible.

Dee whined next to me, drawing my attention to her. I had been sitting on my bed the entire day, and a walk was long overdue. A sigh of frustration escaped my lips as I shut my laptop. I hadn't found anything new that could have helped me pick up a trail. Maybe some fresh air would help.

"Alright Deedee, you win. Let's go stretch those legs," I said to which she barked enthusiastically. I changed into a pair of black leggings and a tank top and grabbed my beloved blade that I placed in the waistband of my leggings against my lower back. Rule number one when going, well anywhere, never leave without a weapon.

When we arrived at the park, it was pitch black out except for the faint light coming from the street lights nearby. Dee's white fur stuck out in the darkness as she ran in the grass, carrying the stick of wood she had just fetched back to me. The park was empty at this late hour of the evening, and she had the entire field for herself.

"Good girl," I said as I grabbed the stick from her mouth and scratched her head. She let out a single proud bark, her pink tongue hanging loose as she waited eagerly for me to throw the stick again. When I did, she stalked towards it with unmatched speed. I had yet to meet a dog as fast as Dee. I was watching her run to the stick when my phone started to ring in the inner pocket of my leggings.

Richard.

I sent him to voicemail for the 100th time in the last few days and placed my phone back in my pocket. I couldn't afford talking to him. I knew he was going to kill me for staying in Bath despite the orders he gave me, and I really wasn't in the mood for arguing over something I wouldn't change my mind about. But I also knew I couldn't avoid him forever. Sooner or later I would have to talk to him. Preferably later, when I was back home in the US.

When I looked up from my phone, Dee wasn't back. A frown instantly sat on my face as I looked for the ball of white fur who was nowhere to be found.

"Dee!" I called, wondering where she could have disappeared to. The park wasn't that big, but the proximity of the street was making me nervous. I started in the direction I had thrown the stick in, my heart beating faster all of a sudden. "Dee! Come here, baby," I called again, my head turning in all directions frantically. She couldn't have gone far.

A wave of relief hit me when I heard her bark, bringing my attention to the North side of the park. I ran to where the barks were coming from and found her by herself, barking over a manhole.

"There you are, baby," I said as I leaned towards her and hugged her tight, leaving a kiss at the top of her head. "Don't ever do that to me again."

She barked again, scratching the manhole with her paw.

"What is it?" Just as the words left my mouth a scream echoed down in the sewers. It was faint, but distinct. A jolt of adrenaline waved through me as I realized someone was down there, and in need of help. It didn't take long for my brain to put two and two together. The parks and their access to the sewers. That's how the creature was able to disappear without leaving footprints. It was living underground, hidden from the world. My heart started to race in my chest. Whoever just screamed wouldn't stay alive very long, I needed to do something. Without thinking twice about it, I grabbed the heavy manhole cover and dragged it to the side. At least ten feet separated me from the bottom of the underground tunnel— I couldn't take Dee with me. There was no way I could carry her down, and if I could, I wouldn't be able to bring her back up. I was on my own on this one.