twenty-eight

"It can't have been me, I was upstairs!" I repeated for the tenth time to the two vampires in the room. I had joined William and Caelan in the living room after taking a shower where I had covered myself in shower gel and scrubbed my skin thoroughly to erase any undesired scent. Unfortunately, I couldn't control the scent of my emotions.

"It doesn't matter where you were," Caelan answered. "What matters is what you were doing, and with whom. You started mating, it reflects on your powers."

Heat creeped up my cheeks at the thought of what I was doing with William when the glass apparently got fixed.

"He's right," William intervened, drawing my attention to him sitting next to me on the sofa. "It might have taken you a while to master your abilities before, but not anymore."

"But how could I have fixed it without even thinking about the damn glass!" I exclaimed, completely lost and seriously doubting I fixed the glass.

Caelan snorted, and I had no doubt what was on his mind. He knew exactly what William and I were doing before he interrupted us.

"Your mind has been so focused on fixing it for the past few days, I'm not surprised it fixed it without your knowing about it," William said.

I was about to object again when Caelan said, "There's only one way to prove to you that you did it." He grabbed the glass from the coffee table and threw it in the open fireplace, smashing it into a million pieces. "Now fix it again."

My brows turned into an upset frown. How could he ask me to fix it when I told him a million times I didn't know how to?

"Picture the glass in one piece," William tried to help when he noticed the look on my face. "Imagine all the pieces coming back together."

I shook my head. If only it was that simple. I had tried that method for days and it hadn't worked. It would never work, I was simply not strong enough. Humanity was doomed because I was weak.

My breathing started to jerk at how overwhelmed I felt. It was all too much for a single person to bear. Who had decided to create Hell? And why did they make the Gate guarding it so easy to break? Why did it have to lay on my sole shoulders? It wasn't fair. It just wasn't fair to leave the fate of the world on one girl's shoulders.

"Charlotte," I heard William call and I realized my eyes were closed and that he was now sitting a lot closer to me, holding my hand. "You have to let go of your fears," he added, pushing one of my curls away from my face. He was looking at me with the confidence I wish I had. He didn't seem to doubt a single second that I would be able to fix the glass.

"Maybe we took the wrong approach," Caelan said, drawing both William and I's attention to him. "An incentive might help her abilities develop faster," he added while crossing the room to reach us across the coffee table.

"An incentive?" I asked, my eyebrows furrowed. A wicked smile appeared on Caelan's lips.

"I have a feeling that if one of Will's bones were to be broken, you'd fix it in no time," he answered while reaching for William's arm. My eyes went wide as my heart stopped beating completely. He couldn't be serious.

But he was.

"DON'T!" I screamed, terrified, and before his hands could come in contact with William's arm, Caelan went flying across the room, his back crashing against the opposite wall with a loud thump.

I gasped, my entire body going still with shock and terror. There was a huge dent in the wall where Caelan's body had crashed. What had just happened?

"Cal!" I screamed when I realized what had happened, although my voice sounded raw.

THE LIGHT IN THE DARKNESS - BWSOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara