Ch. 15: Let Her Go

After Liz's death, everyone had come to spend the night at Stefan, Damon's and my house. 

Elena, Caroline, Matt, Tyler. 

The next morning, Caroline had everyone but Damon gathered so she could speak to us. "You've all asked what you can do to help. There are five day's worth of projects on here. We are going to do them in one. We can break the rules and cut through the red tape. I expect my mom to be properly celebrated and buried by the end of the day." 

"Sure, Care," Matt told her. "Whatever you need." 

Tyler ad Stefan nodded.

"Elena, you're coming with me," Caroline told her. 

"Where are we going?" Elena asked.

"Casket shopping," Caroline answered. "Let's move." 

*******

Flashback - Salvatore Estate - 1857 

Young Stefan was putting on a tie for his mother's funeral. 

Young Kaylin walked toward him timidly, upset, dressed for the funeral. "What are you doing?" 

"Borrowing one of Father's ties for the funeral," Young Stefan answered. 

Damon was standing in the doorway. "He will skin you alive." Young Stefan and Kaylin looked at him. Damon walked closer, taking off his tie. "Take mine." He knelt next to them, putting the tie on Stefan. "Okay." 

"Did you finish the speech?" Young Stefan asked. 

"Not quite," Damon answered. 

"It's an important speech," Young Stefan told him. 

"I will finish it, Stefan," Damon told him.

"Father said we're not to cry," Young Kaylin told him. 

Damon turned to her, fixing the bow on her silver dress. "That is because Father is incapable of human emotion. You are nine, Kaylin. You can cry if you feel like it." 

Young Kaylin thought for a moment, shaking her head. "I don't think I will." 

"Why's that?" Damon asked. 

"Because Mother's angel told me everything would be all right," Young Kaylin answered.

"When was this?" Young Stefan asked. 

"Last night in my sleep," Young Kaylin answered. "She visited me. Did she visit you?" 

Damon and Young Stefan exchanged a look.

"We must have missed it," Damon told her, putting a flower into her hair. "There. Be on your way." 

Damon patted Young Stefan's head.

Young Stefan took Young Kaylin's hand, leading her out of the room. 

Damon stood, looking into the mirror. 

******

Now 

Damon was supposed to be writing Liz's eulogy because he had felt terrible for not being able to complete our mother's.

Stefan, Damon and I were dressed for the funeral.

"Well, I see the eulogy is coming along swimmingly," I told him sarcastically.