ii. red brick wall pt.1

volume two / red brick wall pt

volume two / red brick wall pt.1

IVY WASN'T EXACTLY PLEASED TO BE ATTENDING ROB'S BARBEQUE. It was obvious that her mother was — A new chance to force her daughter into another unwanted relationship.

Ivy had bigger plans than romance.

"Just be nice, okay?" Ivy's mother had brought a tub of homemade chili as a housewarming gift.

"I will, mother. I just hope Rob doesn't expect anything." Ivy replied with a shake of her head.

The door opened and Rob's mother, Cassie, came into view. "Ah! I'm so glad you could make it, come in, come in."

The Campbell family stepped inside and tried making themselves at home at Cassie's request.

Ivy's Mother setting up her infamous chili. Her father telling stories about the war to Robert's little brother.

Ivy smiled at the sight. She knew that the Tiller's were family friends. When Ivy and Rob broke up, it left a weird tension between the two families.

Rob's handsome face appeared from the corner, a dashing smile on his full lips. "Ivy, you came. We're just setting up for dinner, care to join?"

Ivy knew she didn't have a choice anymore. She was already there, sadly.

But abiding by her mother's wishes, she stayed civil.

"Why not?" She said, pulling up a chair to sit next to Rob.

"It's quite nice to see both of our families interact again, yeah?" He eyed his brothers as they sprawled out on the carpet, listening to Ivy's father.

Ivy did feel some sort of remorse for Rob. It wasn't his fault he was struck by cupid's arrow.

Ivy cursed the fateful day she was to be bruised by the same arrow.

"Yeah." She said, her voice so soft it sounded like a whisper.

Rob's head turned to hers; his eyes carried some kind of look that Ivy couldn't explain. "I missed you."

Ivy couldn't meet his eyes — she knew there wasn't any emotion in hers that could reciprocate his. She could see his eyes flash from passion to pain in a matter of seconds.

"I need to take a walk." Ivy stood up suddenly. Rob cleared his throat at the rejection, "Right. I'll see in time for dinner?"

She nodded, not meeting his eyes.

Ivy grabbed her coat and looked out of the window to see the summer-dust sky.

"Where are you going?" Ivy's mother haltered her before she could leave.

"Just for some fresh air. I'll be right back, I promise."

"Is that alright with you?" Ivy turned towards Rob's mother with a convincing smile.

"Hm? Of course, just be back for dinner! Have you talked with Rob yet?" Cassie replied casually, half focused on the dinner and half on Ivy.

"Yes, ma'am."

"Then I see no problem."

Ivy shot her a grateful smile before slipping out the front door.

She had just enough time to take a lap around the village before turning to the cottage. Ivy needed to get out of that house. It only brought unwanted pressure.

And Ivy was far too young for wrinkles.

Walking along the cobblestone path, Ivy hummed to herself. How could her mother push her into such activities? She was still young. She needed to enjoy her life without being locked up.

Unfortunately, Ivy's thoughts were cut short by a black cat frolicking around, almost tempting Ivy to follow it.

Its bright green eyes stared into Ivy's black ones. She couldn't help herself but follow it as it slyly walked away.

"Y'know cat, if you get my shoes dirty, it'll be the last thing you-" Ivy stopped as she hit contact with a brick wall.

Rubbing her nose, she looked at the wall.

It was red.

Ivy stared at the wall stunned. Each wall in her village was painted white and brown. Not a speck of red could be seen ever. She knew her village, and she had never seen this before.

The cat purred as it rubbed itself against her leg. Ivy looked down with curiosity, and the cat started to meow at her repeatedly.

"I don't understand? Oh-This is ridiculous!" She snorted to herself, "I am talking to a cat. I am going mad."

The cat continued to meow louder and with more force, nudging the girl to the wall.

"Seriously? I-Why not." She gave in and put her hand to the red-bricked wall.

It went straight through.

Ivy let out a terrified scream, taking her hand back immediately. "Wha-? This is-is, I don't."

The cat had paid no attention to Ivy's cries and walked straight through the wall. Ivy swallowed hard as she watched the cat disappear.

Any fear had vanished and was replaced with burning curiosity. Ivy stepped forward and put her foot through this time.

It went straight through once again.

This time, Ivy kept her cool and continued to fall deeper into the wall.

Closing her eyes, she pushed her head forward and through the wall.

The final step.

AUTHORS NOTE:

and we're back! this will be a double update and i have part 2 ready to publish. i wanted to cut it half, so it wasn't all crammed into one chapter.

that's just a personal preference, i don't like reading long paragraphs on a long chapter due to my adhd. so, i thought giving out two updates but making it short would fit better. this wasn't just a filler chapter either, there's some important stuff in here for rob and ivy's relationship.