| thirteen |

Lexie went to find Cassie in the clinic and dragged her after being instructed not to notify anybody and devising a strategy

Lexie went to find Cassie in the clinic and dragged her after being instructed not to notify anybody and devising a strategy. "Lex—what's going on?" As Cassie followed her back inside the hospital, she questioned. Lexie fessed up, "So I went to the morgue for Yang, and I found out that the unclaimed bodies can be used for surgical research for, like, med students to practice on." "Okay..." "So you want to steal bodies from the morgue, Klepto?" Cassie asked as she nodded, "for educational purposes." Lexie continued, "Sure, are you in?", prioritising her education, Cassie hesitated before responding, "I'm in."

"Um... thank you all for being here," Lexie said as Cassie brought in the final corpse from the morgue, she said to the dead, "I appreciate the opportunity to learn, and I'm sorry you had to die." Cassie added, lifting an imaginary glass to the speech, "for science and our education." "For science and for our education." Before recalling, "Oh, uh, uh, instrument trays," Lexie grinned and clapped their imaginary drinks.

___

Alex overheard the talk and invited his resident friends down there after notifying the other interns of the corpses in the basement that was downstairs. So Cassie and Lexie were shocked to see him down there when they went to check if the bodies were still there. "This is for the interns. Not you... us!". As she entered, Cassie sighed. "Go play with the dummy!" Alex roared after gazing at the two. Lexie moaned, "Oh!"

Cassie and Lexie huffed as they entered the room filled with cadavers after going downstairs to alert their resident. "The clinic is operating normally", said Cassie. "Dr. Sloan and Dr. Hunt are still in surgery." Before attempting, Lexie asked, "Do you think we could try--" At the interns, Cristina, Meredith, and Alex shook their heads and said, "No." Hey, look at this, my deceased mother showed me a cool technique to hold these instruments," Meredith said. "You can turn off more quickly if you palm it." Izzie questioned, "Can you see your dead mommy when she's teaching you things?" "No, I'm reading her journals," Meredith said, raising an eyebrow. "Duh." Izzie laughed and said, "Of course, I was kidding." "But I did once see her, together with that bomb squad member... and Denny. "Today?" Izzie asked as her eyes brightened. "No." Meredith clarified, "I was dead at the time." "I still feel my mom with me sometimes," Lexie continued. Izzie shook her head and said, "I have to leave this case." Cassie tried again, "...So could we--" All of them replied "No." We're never going to be able to learn how to insert a catheter, place a chest tube, or do I.V.s without injuring ourselves" Cassie sighed as she muttered to Lexie.

___

"Hold it please!" Cassie yelled, running towards the elevator. A hand darted out holding the doors, as Cassie hurdled into the shaft. She took a second to breathe before looking at the "devil spawn!" Cassie exclaimed, meeting the unenthused look on Alex's face. She pressed the button for the floor she needed before turning to Alex "Hey, can I ask you a question?" giving him no time to answer "Would we still be friends if I had dinosaur arms?" Cassie remarked, patiently waiting for his response. Alex's face contorted into a look Cassie could only assume was one of holding back a laugh, nodding at him "So, that's a yes..." she added before leaving the elevator and Alex to secretly giggle at Cassie's randomness. 

___

After deciding to join the other interns in their studies, Cassie and Lexie took a stroll down the corridor together. Since the residents didn't impart any knowledge upon them, it was always preferable to nothing. , "Cassie." When Cassie heard George's voice speaking from behind them, she looked at Lexie. "Don't worry; you can handle this," Assuringly, Lexie moved a little distance away." "Hey." "I just saved a robot who almost bled to death several times," George grinned as he kissed her. "Why do you smell like death?" he asked. "Oh, I took cadavers to study on with Lexie" Cassie chuckled. He raised an eyebrow and asked, "What?" "But we didn't use them in the end" She groaned and smiled. "I helped Klepto in committing more thefts, but it failed." she partly joked. "So, are you ready to return home?" George inquired, grinning at Lexie's moniker. She shook her head when she saw Lexie at the end of the hallway and said, "I'm gonna stay for a while."

___

While placing sutures on her like the other interns were doing to their partners, Cassie winced as Lexie spoke, saying, "Five parallel pull stitches per cut, then switch." "Are you sure I'm numb?" Cassie asked, looking up at Lexie. "Toughen up" Lexie said with a chuckle. "When one of our residents is chosen for the solo operation, one of us gets to scrub in, so we have a goal here", she said as she got up to address her fellow interns. Focus on the end result. Absolutely worthwhile. "Solo surgeries—this is worth it," Cassie said to herself as a mantra to get through the discomfort. The interns hid their arms after hearing a knock on the door, and George greeted them inside by saying, "Hello, hello." Upon entering, he said, "I need someone to run these labs and pull these x-rays, please." Back there, Ryan nodded, saying, "Will do." George said, taking in his surroundings, "Hey, this seems like a fun location to hang around. What are you two doing? "Nothing." A few octaves higher than the others, Cassie chimed in. "This is for the interns... It's--It's our hangout" Lexie began, aware that Cassie would be unable to lie convincingly. "Find your own." "I'm sorry," said George with a nod. After he left, Lexie exhaled and said, "Solo surgeries... totally worth it."

___

"Guys," Lexie announced after having Meredith ask if she was suicidal from the bandages on her arm, "we need to shut down for a few days. People are starting to get suspicious." She chuckled, "I was accused of being a secret cutter." "So wear long sleeves." Sadie, the new intern, suggested from the back. "Oh," Lexie's voice got softer, "I didn't realize we were inviting more people here." "Are you kidding?" Sadie got off the wall she leaned on and walked forward, "A secret intern society? I'm all over that." "Well," Cassie agreed with Lexie, "I think we should take fewer risks so the residents don't find out." "Fewer risks?" Sadie repeated, "Come on. You got a guard at the door. You're using more local anesthetic for three sutures than you would upstairs for a chest tube. Look, I get that you're doing all this to learn new skills, but you're only gonna learn so much by being careful." "Uh, actually," Lexie shook her head, "I would disagree. I think the only safe way to..." Lexie stopped and Cassie frowned her eyebrows as Sadie took off her shirt. Cassie leaned to Lexie and whispered, "Why is she taking off her shirt?" Lexie shrugged as Sadie raised a scalpel, cutting a small incision on her back, causing Lexie and Cassie to scoff. Sadie looked around and asked, "Who wants to stitch me up?" The other interns raised their hands as Cassie muttered to herself, "I'm getting a bad vibe off of her."

___

After noticing how Lexie completed a stitch that she herself did not know how to do, Crisitna burst into the intern locker room as they were talking. "I can learn how to cook." Cassie argued with Lexie as she chuckled, "'Anyone can cook.'" "Cas-" Lexie was stopped from responding as Cristina yanked the two girls' arms and removed the bandages, seeing the sutures and Lexie gasped, "I can explain." Cristina checked the other interns for bandages and lectured Lexie, "I did not teach you the parallel pulley stitch. I can barely do that stitch myself." Cristina looked over at the other interns, "Whatever you guys are doing, shut it down. Do not practice on yourselves. That is insane. Shut it down."