Chapter 5

5. Power Struggle                

                                                                                                                        Ben    

            The sound of Phoebe rushing into the room pulled me out of my daydream.

            “How’s she doing” asked Phoebe walking over to Amber’s bedside.

            “She’s still sleeping” I replied checking the clock, it was almost seven thirty “But she seems better today”

            Phoebe nodded “Just let her sleep for a few more hours she should be able to get up out of bed when she wakes up, but she’ll most likely be confused so we need to be there when she does”.

            I nodded remembering the night before when she had called for Rhea, I winced at the memory of her face covered in blood and her arm hanging limply from the side of her body when Rhea carried her in.

            Phoebe pulled back the sheets so she could check Amber’s ankle which was broken last night.

            “Her broken ankle has healed almost completely and the cut across her leg has nearly disappeared”.

            She looked pleased. I was just relieved.

            “That’s great” I said lifting myself up off the chair, my back aching.

            Phoebe finally turned to look at me “You look terrible” she remarked “Have you been here all night”.

            I grimaced and nodded

            “Then you should come now and get some breakfast with me, don’t worry too much about Amber, we’ll be back before she wakes up”.

            I nodded again, accepting her offer. Phoebe was telling the truth, we would honestly be back before Amber woke up.

            And I trusted Phoebe with matters like this because she had a gift for healing and it had helped Amber so much in the last twenty four hours.

            “Will she really be okay” I asked

            “Yes, she should be back to normal by tomorrow” she replied tentatively, smiling because she knew I was testing her.

            I knew she was telling the truth because that was my gift, I could tell if people were lying to me.

            Even if it was to protect my feelings

            Sometimes I wished that I had a more useful gift, something that would help people like Phoebe’s gift. But this was the one I was given I guess that there must me a reason I was given it. Right?

            I couldn’t eat much at breakfast; Phoebe tried to get me to talk but every conversation kept coming back to the Fight between Amber and Rhea.

            I was really worried about Amber, she was never as strong as me or Rhea and what if I made another mistake and she got hurt again.

            My first mistake was letting Rhea go with her to find Chris.

            My second was not being ready for them when they came back, I’d known something bad could’ve happened but I hadn’t been there to meet them