Chapter 3

--King Arsen's POV--

My son rejected by a commoner? I always knew my son was a horribly awkward child, but I assumed riches and royalty would be enough. How pathetic did he have to be to make her pick a boy from her wee little village over a soon to be king?

Luckily for him, I am a charming, all-powerful king. I may seem conceited, but I've always learned that you're only vain if it isn't true.

After I sent my deflated son to bed I called over my most trusted knight, Samuel. He was a really good kid, around the age of 16. Although he wasn't the strongest of my army he was by far the bravest and most honorable. I knew he'd always be loyal to me. After all, he was practically my son...

--Flashback

I've always hated having to do this. It is the first day of December which means the countless meetings with the leaders of the towns. Winter has been nipping at the land for months, but lately the days have been quite bitter.

I, obviously, am wrapped head to toe with the warmest wools and furs this fine kingdom has ever seen. Typically my father chooses to venture alone, but as my time to succeed him is nearing, he has been exposing me to the many responsibilities of the king.

Village after village seem to be reporting very similar problems such as lack of food due to poor rationing and the failed preservation of crops. My father has more sent and once again teaches the importance of proper drying.

I begin to notice that as we distance ourselves from the heart of the kingdom, the problems become more severe. Freezing and starvation, theft and many other crimes are being committed yet the public seems to turn a blind eye. I will definitely have to fix this.

We finally reach the outskirts of the kingdom, the Lands of the Dead. No one dares enter these hostile village because they know they will not come back alive. I shiver as I hear screams of agony in the distance.

My father somehow keeps a straight face. I guess he's had practice. We near a secluded city at the very edge of the kingdom's reach. My father and a couple of men enter the only building in the entire city to begin the discussions. Unfortunately, I am left out of this one.

I wander the streets when I hear a cry. It seems to be resonating from a nearby alleyway so after gathering a few guards, I approach the source of the pleas for help. What I find disgusts me.

A small boy, no older than 5 is struggling under a full grown man, tears streaking his bruised face. The young boy is curled up trying to protect his head and stomach from the merciless onslaught of the assailant's fists. I hear the boy screaming for him to stop, pain and fear in his voice.

When I finally recover from my initial shock, I rush over and pull the man off the poor boy. "Never show your face again," I say with my voice calm and even, but my gaze steely. The drunk laughs until the slightly sober side of him seems to recognize me and he quickly scampers away looking like a kicked puppy.

When the sickly creature is finally out of my sight I kneel by the boy's side. He's still whimpering, but thankfully his tears have stopped. I take one of my many fur coverings off and wrap it around his bruised shoulders. He flinches at my touch but quickly calms himself. Looking at the boy, I see he is young, far too young to be out on the streets alone. He must be around my own son's age. I immediately pity him and carry him back to the carriage.

My father returns to the carriage and gives me a questioning look until he notices the condition the child is in. Bruises cover practically ever inch of his skin and in some places, the abuse has even drawn blood. Even without the many injuries, the boy has clearly suffered from malnutrition and dehydration.

"I'm proud of you son. It is your compassion and kind heart that will make you a successful ruler; never lose your humanity," he said while looking at the broken child in my lap.

"Okay. I promise I'll hold onto it for as long as I can," I say as I calm the shaking boy.

Flashback ends--

"My boy," I begin, he gives me his full attention. "I need you to find a girl named Melody. She lives near your old village, so if you don't wish to return to that horrid city I can send someone else, but I believe you are my most reliable soldier. I struggle to trust the foolish hooligans guarding this castle," I finish with a chuckle. This is our little joke because, despite their impressive family names, the guards tend to be a bit dense.

He chuckles too, but I instantly see the fear in his eyes and regret asking him. "I'm sorry, forget I brought that up, you are dismiss--" I start but he stops me before I finish.

"No your majesty I can do it," he slightly cringes when he realizes his mistake. "Sorry for interrupting you sir," he finishes, his face burning with shame as he kneels, head bowed before me. He hated disappointing me, but honestly I was just proud. He was conquering his fear, finally battling his inner demons.

"You make me very proud. You've grown so much since that day. We both shudder a bit remembering the horror that takes place outside the palace walls. I've been working on fixing it since the day I took the crown, but let me tell you, Rome was most definitely not built in a day.

The young knight rises to his feet and gives one last bow before leaving the throne room. I know he'll be back with the girl in no time at all.
***

This chapter is dedicated to @Hetalia_4ever and @CarolineMahf for the kind comments. You guys totally motivated me to write this chapter so thank you :)

What what what?

This was kind of a sad chapter. I dunno if it's actually factual or like makes sense, but I did my best. Also, I don't really know about this stuff so if this triggers anybody lmk. I could always put a trigger warning or just delete it. 

Hope you guys like it and keep reading! Vote, comment, and share! Remember with more feedback, I can publish better updates with what my readers want to see! Love you guys :)