11

[I Got the Music]

Julie and Emily stood by Julie's locker as they hummed I Got the Music.

"Hey," a boy in a marching band uniform said as he jogged up to the girls.

"Hmm?" Julie hummed, pulling out her earbuds.

"Are you done? I need my sticks back."

Julie frowned and looked in her back pocket to see drumsticks. She handed them to the boy with a frown. The boy walked away. Emily giggled softly at the interaction.

Flynn walked up to her friends.

"Hey, what's up?" Julie and Emily asked.

Flynn smiled. "Nothing. It's just nice seeing you back to your weirdo selves."

"Thanks?"

"So how's the band? Still hot? Still talented?" She glanced around. "Still dead?"

Julie chuckled. "Amazing. Luke, Em and I spent the whole weekend writing songs. Come on. You wanna hear some of them?"

"Duh!"

The girls made their way to the music room and Julie said, "Like it was flowing through me, like when Em and I used to write years ago."

Emily nodded. "It was great. I've missed writing songs."

Julie glanced at her friend and nodded. "Me too."

Julie and Emily sat on the piano bench and Flynn stood in front of them.

The curly-haired teen said, "So, this is the first song Luke, Em and I wrote." She took out a few papers that had been scribbled with notes. "Here's a bit of the chorus."

She played part of the chorus of Edge of Great.

Flynn smiled widely. "Wow! I like it! Definite Gaga vibes."

Emily nodded. "I thought the same."

"Thanks!" Julie replied. "I think we have an anthem with this one. It's something me and my mom worked on. Luke, Em and I finished it with her help. Check it out."

Emily played the melody as she looked at another sheet and she and Julie began singing once again to Stand Tall.

Flynn said, "That's... That's beautiful. And my girl Julie has got a crush, and his name is Luke."

Julie frowned. "No, I don't."

"He's a ghost," Flynn reminded the raven-haired girl.

"Exactly! A ghost!"

"A cute ghost."

"With a nice smile."

Emily grinned then chuckled. "You have a crush on my brother!"

"Ha!" Flynn exclaimed. "I knew it! Just remember he's made of air."

"Cute air," Julie said with a slightly dreamy look.

"Just don't get hurt, okay? Obviously you guys have a connection. Everybody's talking about when you're gonna play again."

"Play again? We don't even have anything planned. Luke, Em and I have just been focused on writing songs."

"Lucky for you two, your marketing team has been way ahead of you two."

Julie and Emily exchanged a look before saying, "We don't have a marketing team."

She pulled a flyer from her bag. "Yes, you do! And surprise! You're both playing the school dance tonight, and I'm DJ-ing too."

Julie grabbed the flyer which read 'Julie, Emily and their hologram band'.