24

[Once again, Emily's performance outfit above]

"Hey, Julie, Emily, it's time," Rob said through the closed door.

"Just a second," Julie and Emily replied.

Emily frowned. "Something's wrong. The boys were getting those jolts pretty bad as we were leaving. And they wouldn't stand us up again. They must have run out of time." Her voice broke, cracking slightly as she struggled to keep her composure. She'd lose her brother again, and after getting to know him, it would be all the more difficult.

Julie and Emily tried to hold in their tears as Flynn said softly, "I'm sorry."

"They didn't cross over," Julie said. "They're gone, and we didn't even get to say goodbye."

The three friends hugged each other.

Rob knocked on the door. "Hey, Julie, Emily, you two are on!"

Julie and Emily ran from the room in tears.

"What are you two doing?" Flynn called after them.

"Where are they going?" Rob asked.

Flynn shrugged. "Where do any of us really go?"

Rob spoke into his headset. "We've got a problem."

---

Julie and Emily found a door and made their way to an alley, taking a deep breath.

Julie glanced up. "I don't know if you can hear me, Mom, but... We can't handle it. Flynn says you're supposed to be behind everything, but we don't know. If we're supposed to help the guys, we didn't. They're gone. And I'm so sorry. They were our friends. Our band-" She let out a sob and Emily tried to keep from bursting into tears. "Our family. Why can't you just come pick me up... and... and hold me in your arms and just tell me that everything's gonna be okay and that I'm gonna get through it? And that -- that even though they're not here with us, they're still up there with you two. Mom, please take care of him. For me? I just wish you were here."

Emily tried drying her tears, but failed as they kept coming, and sniffled before saying in a shaky voice, "I can't lose my brother. Not again. Not after getting to know him."

A woman walked past Julie and Emily with a bag of flowers. She turned when she saw the crying girls. She pulled out two flowers and handed one to Julie and the other to Emily. The flowers were dahlias. Julie's mom's favorite flower. Julie and Emily smiled as they held the flowers close to them and smiled.

"You think?" Emily whispered as she hugged the dahlia closer.

Julie nodded. "Let's make my mom proud."

---

The Orpheum seats were filled.

Rob, in a panicked tone, said into his headset, "Let Panic! know they are going on now!"

The door opened and Emily and Julie walked in.

Julie and Emily held up the dahlias and said, "Signs."

The two girls set to perform began making their way to the stage.

"Wait," Flynn said. "Where are you two going? They're going on stage!"

"Hold on," Rob said. "Julie and Emily just walked onto the stage."

"Those are my girls!"

"Welcome to Live at the Orpheum. Now give it up for EJ and the Phantoms!" the announcer said.

Julie placed the dahlia on the piano, while Emily held hers, and pulled her mic from the stand.

"Hi," Julie greeted as she looked at the audience. "We're Julie and Emily. Um... Tonight, we'd like to dedicate this song to our moms, who've been there with us every time we've played. And thank them for... not giving up on us."

Emily smiled as she spoke in a shaky voice that grew more confident. "We'd also like to dedicate tonight's performance to... three special friends who have changed our lives completely, who have brought music back to us. It was their dream to play here, and... this is for them. This song is for anyone who's lost their way."

Julie and Emily exchanged a smile before saying in sync, "Step into your greatness. Don't give up. Stand tall. Thank you." The audience applauded.

Carrie scoffed and said, "Been here before."

Trevor glanced at his daughter and a look of disbelief crossed his face at her words.

Emily smiled at her friend as Julie put the mic back on the stand, took a deep breath and began playing on the piano.

Carlos looked at sister and his sister's friend, proud of them. The audience cheered Julie and Emily on.

The girls began singing.

Suddenly, Alex appeared on stage, playing the drums. Emily and Julie looked at him and smiled.

Trevor leaned forward slightly, seeing Alex. Carrie watched the performance silently.

Reggie appeared next with his bass and Emily and Julie smiled at their friend.

The girls continued singing. Nick and David bopped their heads to the music.

Luke began appearing and kept disappearing, obviously struggling to stay in one place. Emily and Julie exchanged a worried look and they vowed they would bring him back. She and Julie both would.

Julie and Emily kept staring at Luke, the former with a fonder expression, who finally was able to fully appear after looking at Julie and sang.

Emily and Julie walked towards the audience next to Reggie.

Trevor watched the performance, in complete shock. Carrie crossed her arms, in both awe and jealousy.

Alex stood behind his drum set and sang.

Julie and Luke shared one mic, as they'd done many a time before.

The five stood in front of the stage as the song came to a close. The boys grabbed hands, as did the girls. They bowed and the ghosts disappeared.

Julie and Emily caught sight of Julie's family and smiled.

"Still don't know how they do those hologram things," Ray said.

"One big mystery to me," Carlos replied, knowing exactly who the 'holograms' were.

Carrie stood slowly and clapped her hands. Bobby remained in his seat, in total shock.