8

"See, Auntie!" Hayley calls out to Karla. She's leaning over the hospital bed, with all the supplies that were previously in her school bag now spread beneath Penny's feet. She's made a mess, but I wouldn't expect anything less. "I told you Diego was here!"

Karla's eyes widen as she takes the two of us in. Our little room is getting busy — the presence of Diego filling up the space. Karla's shocked expression quickly turns to one of excitement.

"Karla, right?" Diego steps forward, extending his hand out to her.

"Yeah," she nods, shaking his hand. "You're Diego Ferrari."

"Yep," he chuckles.

"His name is Diego like Go, Diego, Go!" Hayley hops over. She grabs Diego's hand. "Have you met my sister yet?"

"Not yet," he says.

"Come!" she tugs at his arm, and he happily obliges, letting her guide him towards Penny. Part of me wants to stay and see how he interacts with her, but Karla is looking at me in anticipation.

"So..." she begins, her voice low enough to not be overheard. "How was your date?"

"It was fine," I shrug.

"By the looks of things, it's still going."

"He just gave me a lift. It's no big deal."

"Sure."

"Seriously, it doesn't mean anything."

"Yep," she smirks teasingly. "Sure."

"Stop."

"I just don't think you've ever introduced a guy to the girls before."

"That's because I've never seriously dated anyone before."

"Oh, so you're serious about Diego?"

"That's not what I mean," I object. "We just met each other."

"And yet... here he is," she motions towards him. He's crouched down on his knees, extending his arms over the hospital bed. Both girls are scribbling on his skin, turning his dark tattoos into childish artworks. He grins widely, mumbling something to Hayley that makes her laugh. Just the sight is enough to pull at my heartstrings, but it's a feeling I'm uncomfortable with.

"It just happened to work out this way," I tell Karla. "

"Sure," she repeats. I don't protest any further. There's no point. And she seems to get the message, too. "Should I take Hayley down to the cafeteria?"

"Actually, I thought we could eat here in the room so Penny can have some nuggets too," I look over at her in her bed, but apparently I spoke too loudly. She looks up at me in excitement.

"Nuggies?" she asks.

"Uh-hmm," I laugh at her. "That'll make you feel better, won't it?"

She nods her head eagerly but quickly goes back to her colouring. There's no need for her to miss out on a tasty treat just because she's hooked up to an IV — especially because she's hooked up to an IV.

"No worries. I'll go get them now," Karla agrees. She grabs her things and disappears behind the curtain. I head towards the girls.

"Hey, girlies... you are being nice to Diego, aren't you?" I ask. Both of them nod their heads, too focused on their artworks to respond. "You're not being too rough with him?"

"Never!" Hayley calls. "We like Diego."

"Then make sure to be gentle, okay?"

"They're being very gentle," Diego chuckles. He eyes the girls mischievously. "We have to keep me in one piece or else Mimi won't like me anymore."