25

This is the second last chapter guys..... 😭❤️

-----------------------------------------

The sweet smell of syrup fills up my senses, stirring me from my sleep. I peel my eyes open, squinting to adjust to the light. It's noisy, and it shouldn't be. I can hear the girls laughing nearly, giggling at whatever humorous thing they've found today. I glance at the end of my bed, but the girls aren't sitting there with their eyes on the TV like I expect them to be. The TV is off. I turn the other way, finally spotting the girls at the dining table. Diego is with them, pouring syrup over the waffle on Penny's plate.

"Well, well, well, look who decided to join us," Diego smirks my way teasingly.

"Mimi!" Hayley calls excitedly. "Look what Diego did!"

I run my eyes over the table, eyeing the large plate of waffles in the centre. They're surrounded by various toppings and spreads, including small bowls of berries and chocolates.

"What's all this?" I throw my legs over the side of the bed.

"Waffles!" Hayley grins.

"Yeah? Are they yummy?"

"Yummy," Penny nods her head eagerly, a piece of strawberry still in her mouth.

"It's my grandpa's secret recipe," Diego says. I know his grandpa. Not personally, but he used to run a chain of dessert restaurants here in New York. He's a well-known pastry chef.

"You didn't have to do that," I take a seat at the table with them.

"I wanted to," he shrugs.

"I didn't hear you go out."

"I didn't. I had the groceries delivered."

"Oh," I raise my brows in surprise. I didn't even know you could do that.

"Here," he moves the waffles towards me. I take one off the plate and set it down on my own. It's been a long time since I've had waffles — probably years. I have no idea what to put on them, so I stick with simple syrup.

"I thought you couldn't cook," I question. He's definitely mentioned that before.

"I can't," he says. "But I make a mean breakfast."

"Really?" I eye him suspiciously.

"Are you doubting my skills?"

"Absolutely," I laugh.

"Wow. That's so rude of you, Amelia. Isn't it, Hayley?" he turns to her for backup.

"Uh-hmm," she nods her head. "It's very mean, Mimi."

"Oh, you're teaming up against me now, huh?"

"We can't help it," Diego shrugs. "She always has my back, isn't that right?"

"Yep!" Hayley grins. "We're best friends!"

My heart warms. I love them. I don't even mind if they gang up on me. They're so sweet together. Diego is too good to her.

"How long have you been up?" I ask him.

"Just two hours or so."

"Two hours?!" I scowl. "And you didn't wake me?"

"I didn't have to. You were so peaceful," a sweet smile pulls at his lips. He looks so good in the morning. His hair is all messy and his eyes are puffy. He's wearing a pair of black sweatpants with a matching hoodie I haven't seen before. He must've had them delivered along with all this food.