15

I let out a sigh of relief, collapsing down on the couch. Both the girls are finally asleep. They always manage to keep each other up in one way or another. But I've read them their stories, tucked them in, and played them whale sounds. It took a minute, but I don't expect either of them to wake up again anytime soon.

"Thanks for buying us dinner," I smile at Diego. He's sitting right beside me, already looking at me. "You're so good with the girls. They love you."

He doesn't just keep them entertained, he helps me out, too. He even chopped up Penny's noodles and fed her the last few bits on her plate.

"They're good kids," he tells me. "They make me feel young again, too,"

"It's nice seeing them have fun with someone else."

I don't get to see it often. They're always in daycare until late, and we don't get any guests around here. The only other person I get to see them engage with is Karla. She went home ages ago. She didn't even stay for dinner. I think she wanted me and Diego to spend more time alone, but that's impossible with two kids around.

"Hey, can I- Can I ask you something?"

"Uhm..." I furrow my brows. "Sure."

"Well, earlier today... when we were outside, at the car," he begins. "You said you were scared."

"Yeah," I nod. "I remember that."

"What did you mean by that?"

"Oh, I don't know," I look away. For a second I consider dismissing him and changing the subject, but that won't do us any good.

"You don't have to tell me if you don't want to."

"No, it's okay," I say. "I guess I'm just... I'm not used to this — all this attention. It doesn't feel real."

"Ah," he glances down. "Is that what you're worried about? That I'm not genuine?"

"Well, it's part of it, yeah," I admit. "I mean... guys like you don't go for girls like me."

"Why do you say that? Because we're from different backgrounds?"

"Because you're... you. You can date any girl you'd like. People know your name. You can date models, actresses... anyone. And I'm just... me."

"You don't think you're good enough?"

"I just don't see why you would pick me over all those other girls."

"Because I don't like those other girls. I like you."

"But why would you?"

"Why wouldn't I?" he asks. "I don't care what your job is. I like you for you. Just because you're not in the spotlight, doesn't mean you're any less attractive. You don't have to be a model to be beautiful, Amelia."

"But my life is so complicated. I don't have a glamorous lifestyle. I can't afford to go on fun dates."

"You don't have to. I'll pay."

"That's not fair, though. We should be equals."

"Then we'll do things you can afford. Even if it's McDonald's or a trip to the grocery store, I don't mind," he chuckles. "I'm happy to meet you halfway."

"Are you?"

"Absolutely."

"Diego..." I shoot him a pointed look, not fully convinced by his words.

"Look, I can't promise that I'm not going to want to pay for you and do nice things for you but it's only because I want to treat you, and if I can... why shouldn't I?"