27| Attacked

Later that night...

It was nighttime, Akira was currently in the girls' room, hanging with them. Gin was at the foot of the bed, putting on her socks while Poney was near the window, practicing her kicks.

Gin: "Let's go downriver with the overnight postal service. It leaves in an hour."

Akira: (sigh) "Fine. As much as I want to rest from all that training with General Esdeath."

Gin: (slight glare) "And you didn't do anything else other than train with her, right?"

Akira: "If you're asking if I'm into older women, no, I am not. And I didn't do anything to her. All she did was kick my ass in training and give me tips on what I need to do to improve."

Poney: "Hmph! Hah! I'm finally healed! Next time, I'm gonna join in on the rampage!"

Akira: "Just don't get yourself killed, idiot."

Poney: "Shut it, Akira!" (looks to Gin) "We may have the same hairstyle, Gin, but I won't lose to you!"

Gin: (deadpan) "Hairstyles have nothing to do with it...you weirdo." (grin) "Hmph, well...I look forward to your help."

Poney: "Now that I think about it, when did you two become an item?"

Akira: "A few weeks ago. Why?"

Poney: "I guess that means you're into blonde, Akira. No wonder you accepted Corey's confession!"

The icy blue-eyed teen's eyes widen temporarily before they gained a sad look. Akira could see Cornelia's smile flashing in his mind, how mesmerizing her blue eyes were. They gave off a shine that no one else could have. Poney saw the look on his face and rubbed her head.

Poney: (mutters) "Right...sorry."

Gin looked to Akira with a concerned look. She wondered who this "Corey" person was and then put the pieces together. She hung her head low as the atmosphere became gloomy.

In the living room...

Gozuki and Green were currently playing chess, Green having a hard time defeating his adoptive father.

Gozuki: "Hey, Green, how's Akame and Akira been these days? Have they been saying anything strange?"

Green: "No, nothing that I can think of. As usual, Akame's only concerns are food and her little sister. And Akira hasn't been as talkative since...you know. But aside from the past few weeks training with General Esdeath when she came by, he's either sharpening his knife or trying to think of new food recipes."

Gozuki: "I see. That's good to know."

Green: "Why? Is something troubling you?"

Gozuki: "Is just that they're both serious. Well, Akira has been like that, but he can be a little carefree sometimes. Anyway, if they say anything odd, I want you to tell me."

Green: "Roger."

As they go to continue their game, Gozuki quickly moved his hand, snatching something. Opening his hand, in between two of his fingers was a bug.

Green: "Hmm? What's that bug?"

Gozuki: "It looks like a beetle, but...I've never seen one like this before."

Green: (intrigued) "That certainly looks to be a new breed."

Gozuki: (crushes bug) "It could be the enemy. Shit. The moment we drop our guard..."

Green: (relaxed grin) "You're over thinking things..."

And as if on cue, the same type of beetle Gozuki had crushed began burrowing into the door behind them.