Chapter 7 : The Things I Must Tell

Two pairs of high heels clacked on the concrete pavement as we walked. L/N walked beside me while I walked behind Mirai, holding onto her wrists so she wouldn't try to run off. Regardless of her laid-back personality, there was a distrust I had with her, so I didn't take any chances and cuffed her.

Sounds of quick footsteps were coming up from behind us. When I looked behind I saw it was Dazai, still buttoning up the dress shirt he had previously stripped off.

"See? Told you I could do it." The brunette said, taking some time to catch his breath once he caught up with the rest of us. "Kunikida, if you were to rate my pole dance from 1-10, how would you rate it?"

"0." I responded with no hesitation, it's not as if I was watching the mad man dance on a pole.

"But that wasn't an option..." Dazai hung his head low with a frown.

"I'd give it a solid 7 for entertainment, but you did fall and hit your head did you not? Even so, I enjoyed it." Mirai commented, not being able to look behind her and face my coworker but knowing full well what he had just done.

"At least somebody appreciates me!" He said with a pout, side-eyeing me in the process. I rolled my eyes and continued down the path. I had contacted Yosano to let her know we had caught our target, and it was preferable if we had a ride. She told me she would come, but she had yet to. I looked to the side and noticed L/N, whose walking pace had slowed and wobbled.

"L/N?"

"Mm,?"

"Please don't tell me you're tipsy." I thought about the multiple shots of liquor she had in the club, was it all coming back to her?

"Mm,no." She responded slowly as a black car pulled up to the side of the street. The driver rolled down the window and revealed their identity, Yosano. Kenji and Tanizaki were not in sight, they must've gone back to the hotel on their own. We all walked over and found a seat inside the vehicle. I took the passenger seat while the others sat in the back.

"I wouldn't be surprised if you were drunk though, Y/N," Mirai remarked as the car door closed and Yosano began driving.

"What's that supposed to mean?" L/N looked at Mirai with a sour face.

"Well, you seem like the kind of person who'd be a lightweight."

"I'm not lightweight! He is!" She immediately pointed in my direction, making a vein pulsate out of my neck.

"Don't bring me into this you two," I said, trying to remain calm. Surely they would both lose energy eventually and stop arguing, right?

***

The hotel receptionist paid no attention to private investigators bringing a criminal inside the building. Mirai looked around in the lobby and frowned.

"You couldn't have gotten a hotel that was more expensive? I thought you guys were cool detectives." Mirai cooed, hunching her shoulders down in a lazy manner. "I thought we'd be going to a 5-star-resort."

"Why would we bother taking you to a nice place like that?" L/N scoffed, avoiding her gaze. I raised my brow, we couldn't afford such a hotel even if we wanted to. "Know your place."

"Ooh, so scary." The woman replied sarcastically. There was no doubt in my mind that these two were around each other a lot in the past. They would constantly go back and forth as we walked back to the hotel and I was getting a migraine. I suppose I could understand the grudge they had with one another but the constant sarcastic comments and insults were coming close to driving me crazy. Regardless of my anger, I held it in, being too exhausted from the day we just went through. I was relieved to find out that we wouldn't have to make the effort of going to other clubs that night, going to one already took a lot of energy out of me.