Eighteen

BOOK TWO

Odette watched the palace come into view, her shuttle nearing the small landing pad outside the palace. As soon as it touched down and she was cleared to disembark, Odette stood up and started down the black metal stairs.

Natasha was already waiting for her, and for a split second, guilt pricked Odette's mind. She never invited Natasha to ride in the main part of the ship with her, instead letting her ride in the cockpit with the pilot. The guilty feeling passed.

"I'd like to speak with Dr. Violet," Odette said, unbuttoning the front of her cloak as she walked and handing it to a maid who appeared at her side.

"She's in the infirmary."

Odette nodded once, starting in that direction. Dr. Violet was sitting behind a desk in the far corner, where Odette had instructed her to do her work. She didn't want anyone else getting wind of her proposed weapon until there was something to tell.

Dr. Violet stood up as soon as Odette neared. "Your Majesty. How was your trip?"

"Fine. Report."

Dr. Violet hesitated. "If you'd like to step into a private room?"

Odette bristled, but nodded. She started into the nearest room, waiting for Dr. Violet and Natasha to follow.

"One of the biggest setbacks I've experienced with the princess is her physical size. She's small."

Odette nodded, waving a hand for Dr. Violet to continue. "Yes, I know, that's one of the reasons I want to use her in the first place. If she can be functional as a weapon, then anyone can."

There was another reason, arguably more important, but Odette kept that to herself for the time being.

"Exactly. Given that, I've been doing some research on the latent potential of the human body, seeing how I could implement that into the serum. If it works, it will enhance her muscle strength, provide her with added strength and speed, and heighten her reflexes."

Odette almost drew back, stunned. It was too good to be true, surely.

"I am still struggling to activate the serum. It's been in her system for almost two months now, and she still hasn't shown full potential."

Odette tried not to sigh. "How much has she shown?"

Dr. Violet hesitated. "Very little. Our bodies release different neurotransmitters that aid the brain in communicating with the rest of the body, via the central nervous system. The serum is activated by the release of norepinephrine, which is the fight-or-flight response. I've been unable to get the princess to have that kind of neurological reaction on her own, thus rendering the serum ineffective."

Odette worked her jaw. "Then what if we created a series of injections that targeted those neurotransmitters? Wouldn't that give us the ability to activate and deactivate the serum at will?"

"Yes, in theory. Which has been my main focus at this point, but if the princess's body doesn't react to it, we're in the same position we're in now."

"The fight-or-flight response is something that occurs when you're scared, correct?"

"Scared, sometimes even angry."

"And you can't get that reaction from her? She's so easily angered; I would think it would be simple."

"I have been unsuccessful," Dr. Violet repeated. She almost smirked. "Perhaps now that you're back you'll be able to help."

Odette straightened. "I'm sure I could," she replied, speaking with more confidence than she felt. Juliette was starting to grow immune to Odette's threats.

Well, that was about to change.

"I've developed a few different serums, all at different strengths. We'll introduce the first serum at the lowest strength and see how her brain reacts to it. If it's successful, we'll go on to the next level, until we can't go any higher. Then from there, we'll work on generating that fear reaction," Dr. Violet continued.

Odette pressed her glossy lips together, digging her fingernails into her palms and drawing a steading breath. She took half a step forward, lowering her voice. "Is it possible to create a similar effect on a subject whose brain is... underdeveloped?"

Dr. Violet's eyebrows twitched. "What do you mean?"

"Could the serum be applied, but instead of being used to arouse feelings of hatred and destruction, could it force the brain to regenerate itself? If the serum dictates what the body does," she added, almost hesitantly.

Dr. Violet blinked. "I... I don't know, Your Majesty. It would depend on the subject, on the state of her brain, of her growth—"

"The princess's size and weight, approximately."

"Is there someone specific you have in mind?" Dr. Violet looked at Odette over the rim of her glasses.

"Perhaps. Answer my question."

"I don't know, Your Majesty. I can't know, not without having a better understanding of the situation, however hypothetical it may be."

Odette cleared her throat. "I will come back with more answers, but I would appreciate it if you would look into the different ways the serum could be used when applied differently."

Dr. Violet seemed confused, but she nodded. "Of course."