Thirty-One

Natasha stuffed her hand deeper into her pocket, picking at a loose hangnail, pacing back and forth in front of the window, pausing every few seconds to glance through it.

The French royal family was due to arrive at any moment, and per Odette's instruction, she wanted Natasha to greet them and escort them to their rooms so they would have the chance to refresh themselves before meeting Odette.

Pain pricked her cuticle. She must have made herself bleed again. Her heart hadn't stopped racing since she'd left Juliette in the infirmary. The back of her eyes stung, and she had to blink them clear.

She hadn't realized, until recently, the extent of Odette's plans for her mystery project, or how much of that project revolved around Juliette. It was no secret that Odette wasn't fond of Juliette, but Natasha never imagined she could be so cruel. It was too much to stand, but Natasha couldn't do anything to stop it. As her duties with Odette had grown, she found there was less and less time to sneak off and check on Juliette, or make sure she'd eaten, or was warm, or had clothes that fit her.

At least she still had Noah, and thank the seas that boy had a good head on his shoulders.

A beep from her tablet startled Natasha. She glanced at it, relief washing through her at the alert that a ship was approaching the palace. She checked their credentials and then granted them access to the palace hangar.

With a short sigh, Natasha started out into the corridor. On the way, she checked that her cloak was buttoned, and her hair was still tucked neatly in its bun. She used to wear her hair down all the time. One time someone complimented it, and ever since then Odette had asked that she wear it pinned back and hidden. She said it looked more professional, but Natasha often wondered, perhaps a little vainly, if Odette liked being the only "pretty" one in the palace. Even if the only thing Natasha had going for her was her hair.

It didn't matter. Natasha had grown to appreciate wearing her hood. It gave her a sense of camouflage, even though it probably made her stand out even more.

As soon as she and her guards entered the hangar, Natasha waited for the king's ship to finish the landing procedures. After what felt like hours, the steel stairs lowered onto the ground just as two figures appeared.

Natasha called up her most welcoming smile. "Your Majesty. Your Highness," she said, dipping her head in a semi-bow. Her eyebrows twitched in a frown, noticing the queen wasn't there. She might have still been on the ship, or perhaps she didn't come at all.

The prince nodded once, his eyes glancing around him.

"My name is Natasha Prya, I am Her Royal Majesty's second in command, and I will escort you to your rooms."

"Thank you," King Philippe replied. "I apologize for my wife; she became suddenly ill before we left and was unable to make the journey."

"Not to worry." Natasha smiled. "I hope she gets well soon."

Leading the way back into the palace, Natasha walked with them up a magnificent, twisting stairwell and through a corridor until the two guards with her pushed open a set of dark, wooden double doors.

"Prince Rene, Your Majesty; allow me to introduce Her Royal Majesty Queen Odette."

Odette was standing at a long table in front of the window. Her hair glistened in the pale light. Her dark eyes sparkled, and she smiled a close-lipped smile.

King Philippe stepped forward and took the queen's outstretched hand.

"Your Majesty."

"King Philippe. I'm so pleased to finally meet you."

"Likewise."

Odette turned to Prince Rene and smiled. "Your Highness."

Rene managed a smile, though he looked annoyed.

Odette turned to one of the footmen standing at the room's perimeter and he nodded his head before slipping from the room. "I won't take up too much of your time; I know you've both had a long and exhausting trip, but I wanted to be the first to welcome you to Demetria."

"Thank you, Your Majesty. Your country is truly remarkable, and I look forward to seeing it in person," Philippe replied.

Odette laughed. "I'm glad you approve. I asked for dinner to be ready a little early tonight; I assumed you'd be hungry for some real food."

"That was considerate of you, thank you, Your Majesty."

"Odette, please."

Natasha felt for her tablet, ready to pull it out in case the king of prince wanted something specific—either in terms of dietary restrictions or a request for special room accommodations.

"Odette. Thank you," his father smiled.

Odette looked at Natasha, slightly jerking her chin. "Natasha will show you each to your chambers. Please don't hesitate to ask for anything."

Rene turned, almost walking out before Natasha before seeming to think better of it. He slowed, letting her take the lead again, and then followed her.

"Your Majesty, please let me know if there is anything I can do for you," Natasha said, pausing in front of a door.

"Thank you, you have been very kind," the king murmured, walking through the door when one of the guards held it open.

"Your room is just down the corridor, Your Highness."

"Fantastic."

Natasha started to say something else to try and make him feel more at ease, but Juliette's voice caught her attention. Rene stopped, whipping his head around. A scowl crossed his face.

"Princess Juliette," Natasha whispered just as she stepped into view. Juliette was talking to someone, her eyes red-rimmed. She lightly smacked Noah's shoulder, a hint of a smile crossing her face. She grabbed his arm to try and stop him, but he didn't look even a little slowed down.

They both stopped short when they saw Natasha and the prince.

Juliette's eyes widened. Noah's expression morphed into a blank slate.

For half a second Rene stood there, not sure what to say or do, before Natasha stepped forward.

"Princess Juliette, allow me to present His Royal Highness Prince Rene of the French Union."

Juliette looked surprised, glancing first from Rene back to Natasha. "Prince Rene?" she repeated, her eyebrows arching. A smile crept onto her face.

Natasha tried to stifle a smile of her own.

"As she said," Rene muttered.

The smile dropped from Natasha's face.

Juliette dipped her head and lowered her gaze. "Welcome to Demetria."

"A pleasure to make your acquaintance," Rene deadpanned.

"Likewise." She straightened, smiling. "I hope you have a pleasant trip," she added, stammering just a little as if she weren't sure what to say.

Rene barely nodded. Natasha continued down the corridor and Rene followed.

"That's Odette's sister?" Rene asked, jerking a thumb to the side.

"She is." Natasha smiled, though she worried her eyes would betray her brimming anger.

"She seems... off." Rene shook his head. "And to think my father wants me to marry her."

"As Her Majesty said, if there's anything you need or would like please let me know," Natasha said, her eyes hardening. What she wanted to tell him was that Juliette was the strongest person she knew. That she did so much to defy Odette in small ways, like being nice to the servants and making sure their family members were getting enough food and clothing rations.

Rene nodded, slipping through the door and closing it behind him.