Forty-Four

Juliette darted into her room, quickly changing out of her street clothes and back into her nightgown. Her stomach rumbled and she glanced at the clock. It was only a quarter to eight. She had fifteen minutes until a maid would be up with her dress and do her hair. Her heart was in her throat, but she had made it back safely.

She couldn't wait until they were out of the palace.

While waiting for Daisy to come, she moved to the window and sank down on the ledge, unable to keep the smile from her face. She couldn't see the gardens from her room, but she had a nice view of the forest.

"Your Highness?"

Juliette glanced to the side as Daisy walked in with a floor-length riding dress in her arms. A brown riding jacket that hung past her knees was draped around the hanger. Juliette's smile warmed. It was beautiful. Easily the nicest dress she'd ever owned.

She stood up, moving to her vanity and sinking down.

Daisy started brushing her hair, working the tangles free. While she was busy, Juliette picked up her tablet and easily accessed Odette's personal program so she could look at the guest list. She even went so far as to check her guard's rotation to see when Noah would be with her and for how long.

She wasn't nervous about the party, knowing Noah would be there.

Excitement beginning to build, Juliette tried to hold as still as she could. Her mane of hair was dressed with various oils, then laced back in a loose half fishtail braid. Once her hair was finished, she was helped into the dress. A pair of smart leather riding boots completed the outfit.

Giving herself a quick once-over in the mirror, Juliette smiled to herself. She'd never actually dressed up and been primped to this extent. Hopefully Noah would notice. Well, obviously he'd notice since she always wore the same round of dresses, but hopefully he'd like it. Hopefully when they parted ways at the end of the night, he'd go to sleep thinking about how much he wanted to kiss her.

Stepping into the corridor, she made her way outside to the stables. A pair of horses were being brushed and saddled.

Odette was already there, dressed in an elegant red and gold satin gown with a slit going all the way up her right leg. She kept arranging the folds of the fabric to show off her long limb.

Juliette fiddled with the ends of her hair, a flicker of envy rising in her chest. Odette was a good seven inches taller and most of her was legs. She took every opportunity she could to show them off.

"Ah, little sister," Odette smiled brightly, spreading her arms out as if to hug her.

Juliette snapped her eyes up. She stood frozen as Odette embraced her in a way that couldn't have been more awkward if it was staged. Only after catching a glimpse of the press gathered beyond the stables did it click.

The event was being televised. Of course it was. And Odette could be nothing less than the perfect queen and loving sister.

"I see the swelling in your eye has gone down," Odette muttered, a smile still plastered on her face.

Barely managing not to roll her eyes, despite the flutter of nerves that planted itself in the pit of her stomach, Juliette moved back toward the horse designated to be hers and started running her fingers along his shiny coat. Out of the corner of her eye, she watched Odette gracefully mount.

"Your Highness?"

Juliette turned, accepting the hand of a stable attendant. She tried to mimic the way Odette gracefully mounted, but wasn't sure she succeeded.