Betrayal and Lies

Pauline and Ted trekked through the wasteland. 

"What'd you wanna show me, Pauline?"

"Just a bit farther, dear. You won't regret it~"

Sniper nodded, a bit weary.

After a few more minutes, they stopped at a shed.

"In here, love."

Sniper blushed at the nickname. 

"We've arrived."

Two big burly arms grabbed his, as well as one coming over his mouth. 

There was a muffled scream.

As Pauline turned her back, she could make out one faint, hopeless cry.

"Why would you do this, Pauline?..I thought...I thought I could finally be happy. Before I die, let this sink in: You are a despicable, deceptive, disgusting excuse for a being. I hope you rot in hell, I'll be there waiting for you."

Pauline turned to look back at Ted one more time as he was dragged away.

As a sick smile spread across her face, she said the last sentence he'd ever hear.

"Sayanora, love."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"It was absolutely brutal!" She sobbed. "They shot him and dragged him away! I miss him so much already; Why does fate take away every man I love like this? What did I do to deserve this?"

Tankman continued to listen, quieted.

Wow, he's really buying it?

Her sobbing turned more violent, as she shook. Tankman eventually pulled her into a hug.

"There, there..." he said, awkwardly.

"Hey, Captain!"

Steve stared at the scene for a minute, hurt flashing through his eyes for a second.

Captain turned around. (...Taking Pauline with him, making it look like he was carrying her over his shoulder, which made the scene look even more awkward.) locking eyes.

"Cap, can we talk?"

"Sure, Steve..?"

"In private."

Pauline took the hint and left, but made sure to linger around the office for any information that might help her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~