Chapter two

"Does anyone know what to do for a human who almost drowned?" a bubbly voice drifts to your ears. "I read a human medical book once," a more solid voice says. You feel two hands on your chest, and they begin pushing down. After a moment you begin to cough, and feel the water fly from your lungs.

You take a deep breath, relishing in the air. "They're alive!" the bubbly voice exclaims. A face peers down are you, two dark eyes framed by choppy black hair. "Are you alright, human?" This seems to be the one who just saved you. "Y-yeah. Besides the almost drowning thing, but I'm fine." You sit up, rubbing your head. "But how did you..." your voice trails off as you notice you're surrounded, not by miraculous saviors, but by merfolk.
You let out a scream and back away, bumping into a wall. You then realize you're in a cavern. Underwater, you assume. Trapped.

"S-stay back!" You fumble in your pockets, relieved to find you still have your pocket knife. You flip it out and hold out on front of yourself, shaking.
"See? I told you it would fucking try to kill us. We should have left it to die. There's still a chance. It can starve in here." This uplifting idea is said by a spiky merman with equally spiky blond hair.

"Bakugo! We are not leaving them to die!" a mermaid with brown hair and the bubbly voice you heard earlier says, offended. "Look at them! They're clearly terrified of us."

Your mind is racing, going a thousand miles a minute. Merfolk. They saved you. But some want you dead. And they're speaking? No, they're mindless beasts. Monsters with the one and only intention of destruction. But... god, they were really pretty. No. You shook you head, trying to clear that thought. They were monsters.

"Oh! We haven't introduced ourselves!" the bubbly mermaid exclaimed. "Don't fucking tell it my name." "Oh, calm down. They can't do anything, anyways." The spiky merman growled. "Damn right it can't."

The mermaid turns to you. "I'm Ochaco! The one who pushed life back into you is Momo, and the angry one is Bakugo. All the others are outside. The cave couldn't fit them all."

You sit in shock for a second. "May I ask what your name is?" "Y/N" you manage to stumble out. "I like that name!" Ochaco says, smiling brightly. "It's fucking stupid," Bakugo grumbles. "I agree with Ochaco. Their name is nice," Momo says, curling her dark tail in close.

"If- if you're going to kill me, get it over with. Stop toying with me," you say, your voice shaking. Ochaco looks at you, hurt. "What would make you think we would kill you?" "Well the spiky one was talking about letting me die, very enthusiastically." "Bakugo is all talk. He's just angry at everything." "Okay, but still. You're merfolk! You're monsters that hunt humans!" you exclaim, immediately regretting it.

The look of hurt on Ochacos face is enough to make you feel guilty. "I swear we're not all like that!" "You almost drowned me!" you point out. "We didn't mean to hurt you! The people on that boat hunt us for no reason! We were just trying to get rid of them! We never thought they would hire new innocent people onboard..." "Yah, well, they did," you say, rather curtly. "I- I'm sorry."

It's silent for a moment, before you speak up. "Will you at least take me to the surface?" Ochaco bites her lip. "We...actually can't do that." "WHAT? I'm trapped down here?" "Sadly... yes."