1 - the weight of the world

5 years since the Snap
[natasha's pov]

I'm on a conference call with Carol, Rocket, Nebula, Rhodey, and Okoye when Stefaniya walks into the room and slides a plate across my desk.

"Hey, Kotova!"
Carol calls out.

"Hi, Carol! Hi, everyone,"
Stefaniya waves. Everyone talks over each other, saying a hello.

"You are looking better, Stef,"
Okoye smiles.

"Thank you, you all look great. I miss seeing your faces in person, though. But I'll leave you to it now."

As the group says goodbye, Stefaniya kisses my forehead and slips out of the room. I look down at my plate. It's a peanut butter sandwich cut diagonally with a Rice Krispie treat on the side. A note, along with a small drawing of a cat with a smiley face is scrawled on the shiny label: "You're my hero." I smile to myself, taking a bite of the sandwich.

"Alright, keep going, Rocket,"
I nod to him.

"We boarded that highly-suspected warship Danvers pinged. It was an infectious garbage scow,"
Rocket updates through the light projection.
"So thanks for the hot tip."

"Well, you were closer,"
Carol shrugs.

"Yeah. And now we smell like garbage."

"You're a raccoon,"
Carol shrugs.

"You get a reading on those tremors?"
I ask Okoye.

"'Twas a mild subduction under the African plate."

"Do we have a visual? How are we handling it?"

"Nat. It's an earthquake under the ocean. We handle it by not handling it,"
Okoye spoke gently. I nearly roll my eyes at my own cluelessness, but move on to Carol instead.

"Carol, are we seeing you here next month?"

"Not likely."

"What? You gonna get another haircut?"
Rocket points out Carol's new short pixie hair.

"Listen, fur face,"
Carol says without missing a beat,
"I'm covering a lot of territory. The things that are happening on Earth are happening everywhere. On thousands of planets."

"All right, all right. That's a good point."

"So, you might not see me for a long time,"
Carol says to me.

"All right. Uh, well... The channel's always active. So, if anything goes sideways... anyone's making trouble where they shouldn't... goes through me."

They mumble an "okay."

"All right."

They all step back, their light projections disappearing.

"Good luck,"
Carol nods to Rhodey before leaving.

I sit back into my chair, sighing softly. Yardstick hops up onto my desk and I stroke under her chin. I look up to Rhodey-- er, Rhodey's light projection.