19| Nyx

Edited.

Poppy and Indigo were up late last night, having a Barbie marathon on my laptop. So it was no surprise that they were sleeping in. What was a surprise was the man sitting opposite me, tranquilly eating breakfast. He had a plate of scrambled eggs and bacon with a cup of steaming coffee. I forked some bacon into my mouth, keeping a wary eye on him. He didn't sleep here last night. I would've heard him come in.

"This is amazing," he spoke around a mouthful of food. "Compliments to the chef." Annie was behind the kitchen counter and she looked at me with wide eyes, miming with her hands as if asking what the fuck our dad was doing home. Scrambled egg shot off from her fork with her wild movement and she bent to pick it up.

We hadn't seen our dad since the night he came home to deal with me after I destroyed his car. I still couldn't touch the broom after he beat me with it. Annie kept the girls in our room and I tried my hardest to not make a sound. I didn't want them to hear my cries. A bonus point was that it pissed good old Matty Taylor off I didn't make a sound of agony.

Picking up my fork, I chewed around some eggs. "Your wife doesn't cook for you?" I sought absentmindedly, stretching for my orange juice. Annie hopped to her feet, mouth open. She looked at our dad, anticipating him to lunge across the table.

He didn't. I thought he'd be unsettled about us knowing about his other family, yet he wasn't. If I wasn't so easy at reading him, I wouldn't have picked up that he was gloating. He was proud of his other family, loved them more than us. I wondered if he beat his wife and daughters. But they looked happy with him, as if he truly was a considerate husband and father.

Inquiries were working through my mind about why his life hadn't worked out here. It felt like my family was nothing but a trial run for him, to see if that life befitted somebody like him. And then when he apprehended he did want a family, he preferred others. Somebody needed to let him know that this wasn't The Sims. There were no swapping families after you got sick of them

A wicked smirk formed on his lips. "Not really," he answered, nibbling at his bacon and crunching in contentment. "If you hadn't noticed that day you kindly destroyed my new car," I smirked, "she lives in a pleasant neighbourhood so she's rather rich. Has her own cook."

It was supposed to outrage us because he was living lavishly whilst we struggled. Regrettably, for him, I didn't care and would've let the comment spiral down my back. But I marked Annie's crestfallen expression. She tried to hide it, preparing the lunchboxes for the girls for when Georgia took them to the park with Julie later today. Annie would finally have a day to just focus on herself. I recommended she go to the spa, get her hair done, and she promised to think about it.