30| Beckham

Edited.

I was a demanding man, and it had gotten me into many rough tangles before. Even my dad had told me to try and extinguish the monster. And I tried to, and I succeeded. At least, that was what I thought. As a captain, I was used to getting my way. And it was never personal demands. I only wanted the best for my team. Naturally, I felt the same way about Nyx. I wanted her to speak to me instead of bottling all of her emotions. I hated seeing her in pain.

The rink was empty, although it would only be another three hours before our fourth match against Ravenwood would commence. Sebastian was all too keen to relinquish the title of the captain back to me. For an egotistic guy, he really had zero confidence in himself when it came to captaining. He was great at it, but he was wasting too much time in my shadow. He wanted to be there, veiling his talents. Something needed to be done about that.

Jasper strolled past me, holding a bottle of water in his hands. "What's up with Nyx?" And that was the mystery that'd been tormenting me for the past few days, since the night of the costume party. I'd applaud her because she was striving to give everyone the impression that nothing was wrong. But Annie could read her like a book, and even she was anxious.

I shrugged. "No idea."

He raised a brow but made his way over to Oliver. I kept my eyes on him before turning away, swearing under my breath. Nyx had spent the night at my place, along with many other team members in preparation for today's game. After we disappeared to my room, I tried to talk to her, find out what was bothering her pretty little head. But to no avail. And now she was avoiding me because I wouldn't sleep with her. Stirring her problems away with sex was not going to help. But I had time and I'd give it to her.

"Beck," Grayson called my name, stopping next to me. "Benson wants to run through one last exercise with me. Do you mind picking Annie up?" My eyes saw Nyx, snuggled up to Jasper's side. "She's got a shift right now but she should be done in about twenty minutes." I didn't react, narrowing my gaze at my girlfriend who scowled at me. "Beck?"

"Yeah, I'll go get her-"

"She still has another twenty minutes on her shift-"

"I'll wait," I cut him off, travelling to the locker room to get my car keys. The noise in the rink was beginning to give me a headache and I just wanted to leave. Add the fact that I felt like the worst boyfriend ever. My girl wouldn't talk to me and I could see that something was troubling her. Once outside, I leapt into my car and made my way to the cafe Annie worked it. The entire drive, I tried to figure out what could be upsetting the blonde minx further than her mom being back.