26| Beckham

Edited.

I had the biggest fucking crush on Nyx Taylor. Again. Liking her was the easy part, but admitting it to myself was an entirely different game. The majority of my frustration originated from my urge to subdue it. I knew I liked her since the second I saw her, ornamented in fluffy clothing at what was our first match of the year. She looked like a literal marshmallow, hair tucked into her beanie, heavy clothes and cheeks red with the frigid air. When I first detected her in the audience, I got thrown to the ground. I'd glanced up and caught her eye - she smirked before looking back at the notebook in her lap.

The captain admonished me at the end of the match, but at least I'd gotten her attention. After that, I started noticing her everywhere. She was a freshman, and I thought perhaps she'd need guidance being shown around campus.

It became quite explicit that she didn't need help from anyone. She made it obvious by chewing the head off every guy that hit on her. I kept my distance, observed from afar. And then I made my move, dedicating all of my free time to her. Thinking back, I wish I'd labelled what we were, made her my girlfriend. I queried if things would've been different, if we'd still become rivals. If she'd still have helped Rafe.

She was never with him. There was never anything between them.

Rafe was dating Annie, which was why Nyx was always around him. She trusted him enough to let him get close to her family. He must've been a brother to her, and the payments really were just payments for helping him. I felt appalled at the reminder that once upon a time, I believed the rumour that he was paying her for sex.

"I know that look," a soothing voice spoke as I leaned against the wall, waiting for my order. I had to place an extra order for Julie and the place was packed, so now I had to wait a while. "You fucked up, didn't you?"

My brows furrowed, and I gawked at the woman who stood next to me, dressed in a lengthy coat with a scarf bound around her neck. Leather boots were on her feet and she had a fashionable pair of sunglasses atop her silvery hair. She didn't look a day older than thirty, but her greying hair and maturing face said otherwise. This was a woman who moisturised as if her life depended on it because her skin was smooth. Benson could learn a thing or two from her, seeing as he was slowly turning into a sea serpent.

I noticed her earlier, walking in with a bright smile on her face although she was nearly bulldozed by the sheer amount of people. What I didn't notice, however, was when she made her way over to me. I must've been deep in my thoughts to miss her approach.