4. Home wrecker

(A/N This is how I imagine Tanisha)

**********

The flight back to home turned out to be interesting. The freshly married couple found it difficult to talk like they were used to, so long and awkward silences followed their quick and meaningless conversations. Camila was more than glad when, surprisingly, they met a familiar visage among the frenetic crowd of the Las Vegas airport.

«Tanisha? Is – is that you? » she asked with caution.

The beautiful dark skinned girl turned to face Camila. At first she looked confused, but she immediately connected all the dots. «Oh my god! Camila, right?». She embraced the tiny brunette with a strong but warm grip, and Camila chuckled at the spontaneous gesture. «This morning I thought I just had a weird dream, but you're real!» Then she turned to Shawn. «And you're too!»

«Yeah, here we are, in the flesh» he ironized, scratching the back of his neck in embarrass. Camila nudged him in the ribs recognizing his sarcastic tone.

«How is life as a married couple?». She thought it was only a harmless question, she didn't expect to hear Camila talking for hours and hours about what happened. In fact, until the brunette was forced to sit on her designated place on the plane, she kept on blabbering about how it was a huge mistake, about how Shawn and she were just friends, and about how that situation was frustrating. Good thing Tanisha was a great listener. Before each girl went their separate ways, they exchanged their info to keep in touch. It turned out Tanisha lived just a couple blocks from her place, so they promised each other to meet as soon as possible.

In the meanwhile, Shawn fell silent and didn't dare to speak a word. Hearing Camila talking about their wedding like it was the worst thing that could have happened to her, really spoiled his mood. He knew they had acted like impulsive stupid kids, he wasn't happy either, but Camila kept on complaining, describing it with such horror and remorse, standing just next to him. Was he really that bad? She could have married a stranger that was passing by, for all she knew. She should be grateful it was him instead! The idea that she was disgusted to be his wife, to be linked to him, really hurt him. Partly, he knew Camila was simply exaggerating like her usual, but there was a tiny bit of truth in her words, those thoughts weren't completely empty, they came from some place inside her, either she knew it or not.

He felt like crying. He had always admitted he was a huge baby when it came to emotions, he wasn't able to control them, and most of the time he ended up crying no matter who was in front of him. He was sensitive and there was nothing he could do about it. In that moment though, he didn't want Camila to see him like that. He would have appeared pathetic and needy, and maybe he was, but he would be damned if he let her see him like that one more time. So, once his butt was comfortably sitting on his seat, he put on earbuds and turned his face to the plane window. Ignoring his wife was all he could do.

Camila noticed his slight change in demeanor but brushed it off. They were both hungover and still burnt from the events of the previous night. She figured Shawn simply needed some time to himself. When they landed, he still refused to talk to her, driving her home from the airport in complete silence, if not for the music softly playing from the radio. That night she went to bed with a heavy heart and an exhausted mind. All that thinking and worrying were grueling.

The following week they didn't see each other at all. Camila was busy finding a new job, possibly in a publishing house, and Shawn... well Shawn was trying to busy his mind and to avoid his wife. He knew he was being irrational, but his pride and his heart had been wounded. What if he said things he wasn't supposed to say to her face? He wasn't ready, not yet. That's why he never called her back and replied to her message with curt, cold sentences.

Camila eventually realized he was acting weird, but instead of facing him, she called her new friend. A night out with Tanisha was what she needed. Sure, maybe she would have had so much more fun if she called one her sorority sisters, but she wasn't supposed to tell them she was now married. Shawn never asked her to keep it a secret, but somehow she felt like they had that unspoken agreement. Maybe she was also trying to stay on the low: the less people knew about that, the more she could ignore the problem. Tanisha was the only one who knew about every detail of that story and the vibes Camila got from her convinced her to totally trust the girl, asking her for some advices.

Sitting on a stool inside a bar, she whined her concerns to Tanisha. «Why is he avoiding me? He was the one who suggested to pretend nothing happened, and now he's doing the exact opposite! I don't know why he's making a big deal out of it»

Her friend sipped her drink before talking. «Mmm, I don't know, girl... I think there's something he's holding back»

«I just don't get him» she groaned. «When we were leaving the hotel in Las Vegas there was nothing wrong with him. Okay, maybe he was a little stiff, but nothing too concerning»

Tanisha furrowed her brows. «Oh, I have a thesis». Camila looked at her eagerly, her eyes asking to keep on going with her theory. «You're not going to like it, girl»

«Spit it out, please. At this point I don't care, I just want him back. I need to know what his problem is so I can fix things between us»

«I think he's a little hurt»

A puzzled look made its way on Camila's face. «From what?»

«You do realize you spitted out quite awful thing at the airport, right? I mean, you didn't say anything too harsh, but the way you were complaining about him... damn, I wouldn't want to be in his shoes». Camila opened her mouth, shocked. «Look, I'm not saying you were wrong, you had every right to complain. It's just you sounded a little cruel. The look on your face when you talked about the prospect of a marriage with him seemed so disgusted. The poor boy must have felt like shit»

Camila really wanted to defend herself, to find something or someone else to blame, but she knew how Shawn reacted to other's outpouring. He took everything personally, and the fact that she was complaining on something that directly involved him, only further worsened things. God, she was the worst best friend ever existed.

That same night, a couple of blocks away from that bar, Shawn was trying to cope with his own hurt. Calling a friend and crying on his shoulder for hours was an option he had immediately pushed aside. They always made fun of him when he was in his feelings, so he decided it was better to avoid something like that. He needed something to help him forget about his broken heart for at least some hours, and he had only two options: drinking or fucking.

Drowning his pain in glasses of liquor would have be the best option if only he wasn't still recovering – morally and physically – from his last drunken night, a night that had brought him to that exact point. So fucking it was. He entered a club, a place always filled with eager college girls in search for a fun night, aware that his appearance was all he needed to hook up. Sure enough, an hour and a half later he had the hands of a blondie roaming over his covered chest as they were making out outside the club.

The act was sloppy and frantic, and Shawn wasn't feeling any better, but he went for it anyway. He knew she was about to ask him to go to one of their apartment, and that prospect only fueled the burning grip on his stomach. He tried to suppress his uneasiness touching the girl, his hands tangling in her hair and squeezing her thighs, then moving on the front of her top to fondle her breasts.  It was in that moment that he saw it: his golden ring, shining under the streetlights in a mocking glimmer. He pushed the girl away from her, a pained expression on his face. «I'm sorry, I'm – I ... I should go»

The blondie wasn't that keen on letting him go though. «No, don't. We could have some fun» she complained, lightly biting his earlobe and moaning against his neck in an attempt to convince him.

Shawn shook his head. «Stop, please. I'm sorry I initiated this, okay? But I'm, mhm, married. I can't ...»

The girl gasped and pushed him away. «I won't be an home wrecker! You should be ashamed of yourself». And with that she turned and went back inside the club. Yeah, I should be ashamed, he mumbled to himself.