3. Compromise

Husband... Husband... Husband

The word floated inside her head all night long, echoing obsessively and depriving her from some hours of restless sleep. Initially the refrain was almost soothing, lulling her into a world where everything was good. But when those two syllables kept on repeating like a broken, aggressive vinyl that haunted her in her slumber, she realized that something wasn't right. She widened her eyes, the daylight making her hiss in discomfort, and looked around the room as panic pressed on her stomach. A pounding headache was making hard for her to put two and two together. She saw the white veil hanging from a chair, she saw the satin dress laying on the floor in a silky puddle and, finally, she saw the sparkly ring on her finger.

Shawn was sleeping on his bed, still snoring and completely oblivious of what happened the night before. But Camila was wide awake and, even if some tiny parts were confusing or forgotten, she knew for sure what was the outcome of the precedent evening.

«Shawn» she whispered yelled. «Shawn! Wake up»

The boy turned to face the other side of the room, ignoring the calling of his wife. «Too early» he managed to mumble.

Normally, Camila enjoyed seeing him like that. In the morning he was still vulnerable, and his wrinkled eyes and messy hair made him look younger and cuter. Very often he bubbled some nonsense that came directly from his dreams, and Camila loved to make fun of him for that. But during that very moment, she felt nothing like softness in his regards. «Shawn! Wake up, for god's sake!». Shouting during the first few minutes of her day wasn't something she liked to do, but she was angry and pissed, unsure if more towards him or with her own self.

Shawn stood up on the bed and in a second was looking at her with wide eyes and his hair exploding in messy curls over his head. «Wha- what happened?». He was confused and the urgency in her voice made him kind of anxious. Camila's face was morphed in an angered and incredulous mask, and this only fueled his discomfort. He was sleeping, what could have he possibly done?

Camila jumped out of bed in only her underwear, and even if that wasn't the first time Shawn saw her like that, he gulped down his growing lust and looked away. The girl walked around the room, pacing anxiously back and forth with a hand pressed against her forehead. Something sparkly on her finger caught Shawn's attention and slowly – very slowly – he started to recall the events of the previous night.

«We've fucked up» whined Camila meeting his frightened gaze. «What are we going to do?»

Her husband moved his eyes on his own finger, noticing the golden band that started to burn his skin. «No, we haven't. It's not possible. I mean, we are constantly messing things up, but we're not this dumb». Denial was what he chose to use to face that bizarre situation, but Camila was quick to present him with an evidence that shredded his refusal.

On the table of their room laid unbothered a piece of paper with their names, their signatures and the date of their wedding. Camila basically threw it at him and waited for another reaction. She knew she was starting to bitch around, and she was somewhat sorry for that, but she needed to figure things out and Shawn wasn't helping her one bit. All he was able to say was «Fuuuck».

Thin on patience, she frenziedly put on some clothes and groaned when Shawn was still sitting on his bed. Like she did with their wedding certificate, she threw him his jeans and – not so nicely – barked him to get ready. And like a frightened puppy, he followed her instructions. Half an hour later they were at the same chapel in which they tied the knot, begging the old lady to help them out. «Ma'am, we're begging you. It has to be something we can do to void this... mistake».

The lady rewarded her with a sympathetic smile. «Oh dear, I'm very sorry, but you signed a contract and we told you very clearly before you wrote your name on it that it can't be voided. It's just the law».