6. A smack of the lips

The sun was shining through the kitchen window while Camila sipped her iced tea. It was a quiet summer evening and Shawn had yet to come home from work. Home. That word still tasted weird on her tongue. And yet, it was familiar at the same time. After all, Shawn had been her home for the last five years, even when they weren't living under the same roof.

Since she'd moved in, things hadn't changed a bit between them, but at the same time everything was different. They were still their goofy self and they acted like they always had. But whenever they were in the same room, a silent feeling hovered on their head, bringing with itself a secret truth that they weren't ready to acknowledge yet.

They weren't simple roommate. Anytime they watched a film cuddled on the couch they longed for something more, but both of them were scared to admit it. Whenever they laid on the same bed, when the moon was up in the sky and their lids got heavy, they wished they could hold each other like real husband and wife. While they cooked dinner together, Shawn wanted to wrap his arms around his wife and bug her while she complained about it still facing the counter, and Camila imagined how would have felt if he whispered sweet nothing on her ear just to make her blush.

Secretly, they knew they shouldn't have those thoughts. They agreed on making their marriage work, but somehow they felt they were pushing feelings that didn't exist. Both were convinced that the other would have been weirded out if one of them initiated something, so they just kept their hands for themselves and daydreamed about possible scenarios in which they weren't cowards.

Camila heard the juggling of her husband's key outside their front door, and a smile appeared on her face. Shawn stepped inside, glasses on his nose and hair disheveled on top of his head. He loosened his tie and opened a few buttons of his shirt, smiling at Camila with his tired face. He must have had a long day. He looked so cute, she thought. «Hi, wifey» he said getting closer to her. Lately he had started to call her with that pet name just because he thought it was hilarious, ignoring how actually Camila loved it.

«Hey you, Shaggy» she chuckled.

He dropped his shoulders as his smile turned into a scowl. «Now you're just mean». He walked inside the kitchen and looked for a beer inside the fridge. «Why Shaggy though?»

«You're tall and goofy, just like him. Not to mention your hair»

«This makes you my Velma, you do realize it, right?»

She snorted. «Oh please! You wished». Stepping next to him, she gripped his shoulders and got on her tiptoes. She drew her small hand through his hair and tried as best as she could to somehow tame his crazy curls. As if she wasn't only a couple of inches from his nose and her mere presence wasn't driving him crazy, she asked: «Can we order take out?»

Shawn was having a hard time trying to disguise how mesmerized he was by her. Every fiber of his body was screaming to him to just close the space that was separating them and kiss her. The night they got married he might have been completely drunk, but the feeling of her lips against his, and the sensation of her body between his arms, were impossible to forget. Clearing his mind from those memories, he said: «Sure. Pizza?»

«You know it»

With the passing of the weeks, things began to get into a routine. Camila had started to work as a translator of novels, the kind of job she had always wished for. She could work from home, accessing her dictionaries and writing nonstop, while getting the chance to read new stories. The best part of her job was that she was paid to do what she liked the most: reading. Shawn spent all day long in front of a computer, creating confusing codes that somehow ended up being fantastic features for apps. His workplace wasn't very far from his apartment, and being a tech guy, he could have worked from home too, but spending all his time with his best friend was a self-defeating choice. So, every morning he dress up with smart clothes – that made him look older and boring – and left the house, just to come back at dinner time.

All those adults' responsibilities, and the fact that they were living together and had shaped their day to accommodate the other's needs, spurred them to slowly take in the fact that they were a married couple. Sometimes they almost forgot that they were just friends – as they liked to say. Shawn had begun to be more touchy-feely, absentmindedly caressing her uncovered skin, or pulling Camila closer to him, or laying his head on her lap when they were chilling on the couch. Camila, on her part, found herself staring at him anytime she could, relishing on the fact that he was her husband and only she got to see him like that, all cute and cuddly and needy.

That's why they shouldn't have been surprised when a kiss happened. It was a Friday morning, they had breakfast together and Shawn was leaving for work. With his briefcase in on hand, standing in front of the door, he leaned in and kissed her rapidly on her lips, and then left. It was only when he was halfway to his workplace that he realized what he had done. Sure, it was simply a peck, a smack of the lips, but it meant so much more for him. And the crazy part was that Camila hadn't pulled back. She had kissed him too! What now? Should have he made a big deal out of it or pretend it hadn't happened? What did Camila think about it? Was she freaking out like him? He couldn't know it, even if he dwelled on it all day long.

In the meantime at home, Camila was blinking, perplexed, still staring at the door. The quick kiss had felt good, natural. It had felt like interlocking fingers or laying the head on his shoulder. It was just a simple gesture, so spontaneous, and she couldn't find anything wrong in it. throughout the day she found herself going back in time, reminiscing their only kiss, the one that sealed their wedding's vows. She couldn't stop herself to wish for something like that to happen again, and this urge was messing with her head. But the voice that initially screamed at her that Shawn was just her best friend, now was getting weaker and weaker, turning into a whisper so easy to ignore. Apparently thing were changing.