Book 3 Chapter XIII: The Phoenix

I am the "who" when you call "Who's there?"
I am the wind blowing through your hair

-- The Nightmare Before Christmas, This is Halloween

Irímé stared at Abi. Siarvin stared at Abi. Shizuki was behind him so Irímé couldn't see, but he was sure he was staring at Abi too.

"What?" she asked defensively. She straightened up to her full height. Maybe she thought that would hide her wings. It only made them even more conspicuous.

Years ago Abi and Irímé had discussed what a phoenix might look like. None of the storybooks could agree on their colour or size. Irímé had thought they would be bright red while Abi thought they were more likely orange or golden. It turned out both of them were wrong. Apparently phoenixes were a mixture of very vivid blue and dark green. If he hadn't known better he would have assumed Abi had somehow gained a peacock's wings. Oh, and they were on fire too. Abi didn't seem too perturbed by this fact. Otherwise Irímé would have run for a bucket of water.

"What happened?" Siarvin asked, rubbing his eyes. "Is Ilaran safe?"

Abi nodded. "It's a long story. He's back to normal and hiding under his bed. I think you'd better go and check him."

Irímé did a double take. Hiding under his bed? That doesn't sound like Ilaran.

Siarvin hurried into the palace grounds and disappeared around the corner. Irímé and Shizuki were left still staring at Abi. Shizuki ventured forwards. He sidled up to Abi and tried to poke at her wing. She moved away quickly.

"Don't do that," she warned him. "You could get burnt."

Shizuki pouted. "But you aren't burnt."

"What exactly happened in there?" Irímé asked. "How did you--" He gestured to her wings. "And why are you only half-transformed?"

Abi shrugged. Now that he looked closely Irímé was alarmed to see she looked utterly exhausted, had a bruise on her face, and-- was that blood staining her shoe and trouser leg?

"It's a very long story," she said. "But first I need to see a doctor."

Irímé looked at the blood again. Part of him wanted to give in to panic. He'd never had to deal with any serious injuries before. The other part insisted on looking at the situation logically. "I think you'd better get rid of your wings first. You'll draw too much attention."

Shizuki had spent the last several minutes gazing at Abi's wings with the fascinated intentness of a cat watching a mouse. Now his head snapped round. "Why does she have to get rid of them? They're pretty." He gazed pleadingly up at Abi. "You can fly! You flew!"

Oh no, Irímé thought. I know where this is going.

"Yes," Abi said, bemused.

"Take me flying!"

Irímé face-palmed. I knew it.

Abi shook her head. "That wouldn't be a good idea. My wings... Well, they tend to burn everything they touch."

Irímé took a step back even though he wasn't close enough to be in danger. "Then get rid of them quickly!"

"I can't. I don't know how and I need them to help me walk."

~~~~

Like Abihira several minutes earlier Siarvin was taken aback by the state of the hallway. He shuddered as he realised once again how terribly close he'd come to being killed. The thing possessing Ilaran could have torn him apart as easily as it tore the door apart.