Chapter 37

Richard had been right. After a handful of hours, a British campsite came into view. Smoke curled into the sky from a dozen campfires, and the sound of drills and commands soon reached our ears. The camp was modest and only a few hundred men must have been staying there. Small canvas tents which may have once been white were grey with the stain of smoke and mud, and they lined the campground almost as orderly and regimental as their occupants standing at attention. A lone flag, marked with brilliant red and blue and white, fluttered on a makeshift pole seven or eight feet above the ground and marked the entrance to the camp. My stomach leaped into my throat as I realized that it would be but a few minutes until we saw Seth, and I almost wished to fly down from the wagon and run to his tent.

"Ready, child?" Richard muttered beside me. I said nothing, but nodded, and he reached across to put a hand on my shoulder. "You needn't say a thing if you wish not to. Only smile and pass our papers along to the guard when they come. They are in that bag by your feet."

I scowled. "You've got papers with false names? How?"

"Like I said...I have my connections."

"Good evening!" a soldier called. He strode towards us confidently, the butt of his rifle resting in the palm of his hand. He was a plain-looking man, of perhaps 30 years, and one of his eyes remained partially closed from scar tissue that passed down from his brow. "What is your business here?"

"My daughter and I bring crops for the camp's food supply."

The soldier scowled, and his eyes scanned our wagon curiously. "I've not received any word of incoming rations today."

"Ah," Richard replied, his smile growing. "I'm afraid I may have over anticipated the invitation of the Captain. We come from New York City, where Captain Seth Maxwell was stationed a few months back. He and I were introduced, and when I told him of my farm, he suggested that the army could use extra supply in the winter. He'll know us, if not by name then by face, I'm sure. This is where the Captain is camped is it not?"

The soldier's scowl deepend for a moment, but he nodded once. "It is. I'll need to see your papers."

"I have them here," I said, bending to retrieve the bag. As I passed the papers across Richard and to the soldier, his eyes locked on mine, and he smiled handsomely. I knew the expression on his face in a moment, for so many men in New York had looked at me in the same way. I'd always hated that look, but I thought now I could perhaps use it to my advantage. I returned his smile and tucked away a bit of my hair bashfully.

"Thank you, Miss," he muttered, before unfolding the papers and glancing down at them. He hardly looked at them before folding them once more and returning them to me. "And your names?"

"Josiah Steward, and my daughter Edith," Richard said a bit sternly, pulling the soldier's gaze away from mine. I could not tell whether he was playing the part of a protective father, or if he were truly annoyed with the soldier's endearing looks. Either way, it served its purpose.

"And your crops?"

"Carrots and turnips."

"Very well Mr. Steward. Wait here, and I'll fetch the Captain."

"Many thanks, Sir."

The soldier hurried off towards the larger tents and I found that my anticipation was unbearable. My leg began to bounce once more, and Richard chuckled a bit beside me. "Regardless of the circumstance," he said, "I'm sure the Captain will be all too glad to see you."

"He'd better be," I returned a bit sarcastically. "I expect nothing less, seeing as how he's convinced me to marry him and then left me on my own."