Chapter 12

I spent the rest of the day avoiding everyone, and did succeed in most ways. I complained of a horrid headache, and so had supper delivered to my room. As it turned out, William was not present at the meal either, but I still could not bear to be near his family.  I snuck from one empty room to the next, praying that I would not be found.

The next afternoon, as we piled into carriages to ride to the ball, I clung onto Levi, knowing that so long as I could stay with him, I'd be alright. I had not explained to him the full conversation with William for I did not trust that he would remain silent the remainder of our time in England. Levi was a gentle soul, but when one of the family was threatened or offended, he become an entirely different man. Thankfully, my carriage consisted only of myself, Levi, Seth, and Ada.

Had I not rejected William the day before, I may have felt more dread at the coming party. I'd attended more balls than I could count, and Elias had been the only one to make them bearable. As women snickered at the men who brought up the courage to ask for a dance, Elias would mock their laughter. He would twirl at his hair, and pinch his cheeks, and make me dissolve into giggles. It was the kind of laughter that caught me up so violently, I feared I'd never be able to calm myself. Tears rolled down my cheeks, and I would have to excuse myself to become composed. Only Elias could make me laugh in that way. 

The estate which hosted the ball was a grand one, larger still than Cardington Park. The moment we entered the doors, I felt as though I were in a palace. Statues of grecian figures lined the hall, adorned with golden accenting that reflected the light of a thousand candles. Once arriving in the ballroom, it was beyond anything I could imagine. The balls of the colonies could never hope to be half so extravagant. The gowns of the women flashed through the room like the sunlight through a prism, and I swore there were colors that evening I had never seen before. The music even seemed of another world, gliding through the room and bringing life to every face.

"You'd best find a dancing partner before William arrives," Levi said, leaning down so I could hear him through the bustle of the party.

"I don't think there's risk of William wanting to speak to me for the rest of our time in England. Come, let's find a set of chairs to situate ourselves for the evening."

We began to weave our way through the crowd of people, dodging heads thrown back in laughter and arms being whipped about in a dance. A million conversations filled the air, most of which was spoken in hushed, gossiping tones. Surely they spoke ill of those right beside them, but the noise was enough to mask it all. We skirted about the room, pressed closely against the painted walls, and looking for any space large enough for two bodies to occupy. We found a lovely corner, warm, inviting and most importantly, hid safely behind the crowds. I'd hardly sat before a handsome young man approached me, emerging from the wall of people like Moses from the Red Sea. He was clearly younger than I, and eager. His hair, the color of rust, was just disheveled enough to suggest he'd been quite enjoying himself.

"Good evening, Miss." He bowed at the waist, and beamed. "I do not believe we have met."

"No," I responded, glad for the kind boy's company. Something in his countenance told me he was worth getting to know. "My name is Emmeline Reed."

"Miss Reed, my name is Edward Howard. I've lived in this area of the county all my life, and I've yet to see your face. Are you recently arrived?"

"I am only staying the summer with my uncle, Jonas Reed."

"So we are related then!" he exclaimed, the freckles around his eyes jumping as he smiled. "My cousin Harland married Jonas Reed's daughter."

"I should have known you were a relative of Harland. You look so alike!"