Chapter Two - Debt Collectors

When the debt collectors came, I knew nothing was ever going to be the same ever again.

The day they came was a surprisingly calm day. Honestly, it was one of the best days we had received in a few weeks. Recently, the sky had been cloudy and grey.

Since it was such a nice day, I decided to do some cleaning outside. The sun was bright and hanging over the sky and was beating down pleasantly down my neck.

Ōnisama has rarely left the house. Maybe he was feeling guilty for giving all our money to Megumi-san. I've tried to tell it was my fault. He never listens to that though.

Sweeping away the dirt from the front door, I wiped swept from my brow and set the broom next to the door frame. I mentally checked my cleaning list as I gathered a bucket and cloth to wipe down the windows.

I had just finished sweeping away the dirt from the doorway, I watered the plants set in front of the door, I cleaned the kitchen and small adjacent living room.

Before heading out, I checked in on Ōnisama, peaking behind the curtain that separated our beds to give the illusion that we had two separate rooms. He was facing away from the curtain and the only thing visible was his black hair peaking from the blanket.

"I'm going to head out to the well to get some water to wipe down the windows," I whispered, before slowly retreating out of the room, "I'll be back soon Ōnisama."

I softly closed the room to our shared bedroom and left the cabin to head to the well. The well was a few minutes walks away from our cabin. The path was decorated by soft dandelions and tall grass.

I arrived at the well, quickly tying our pail to the rope and dropped it down into the water. Standing on my toes, I peaked into the well and lifted the rope back to the top.

When I first started gathering water at the well alone with Ōnisama, I always had difficultly lifting up the water bucket to the top. Though, I after years of practice it got easier.

Untying the rope from the bucket I gently lifted the bucket to my side and walked back to the cabin.

I walked slowly back to our home, taking great care to not spill any water. Despite my slower pace of walking, I still arrived home in a timely matter. Setting the bucket down next to me on the ground, I dropped my cloth into the bucket and began wiping down the windows.

Just as I was finishing wiping down the windows, I heard footsteps approach from behind me.

Turning around I was greeted with the sight of two older men, dressed in quality fine clothes. I raised to my feet, patting down ruffled, somewhat ratty yukata smooth.

"Um,  hello," I started, fiddling with my hands nervously, "Do you need anything?"

Ever since we fell into debt, no one has ever ventured out to the outskirts of town to visit. Not that anyone really did so before, only Miyazaki-san or Megumi would come visit. But that hasn't happened in a few months.

"Yes," the taller one said, pulling out a piece of paper, "My name is Fujiwara Saburou and this is my partner, Yukimaru Takahiro. Is there a young man by the name of Agatsuma Zenitsu living here? Why'd like to speak with him about something."

I blinked, "Yes, he does live here. Come in, uh, make yourselves comfortable, I'll go get him."

I opened the door, and silently thanked God I cleaned today. I directed Fujiwara-san and Yukimaru-san to the small living room. Luckily, there was already some cushions set on the floor.

I patted my way to mine and Ōnisama's shared room. This time, he was awake and sitting at the edge of his bed.

"Ōnisama, there's some men here to see you."

He turned to face me, and his eyes had light bags underneath them.

"Ka-chan!" Ōnisama smiled, though, it was somewhat strained, "I'll be out in a minute. You happen to know what they want?"

"Uh, it didn't come up."

"Ka-chan!" Ōnisama cried, launching himself at me faster than I could blink, "You just let some strange men into our home!"

"Sorry, Ōnisama." I patted his head, "But I'm sure Fujiwara-san and Yukimaru-san have been waiting for you long enough."

Once Ōnisama realsed me from his hold, the two of us journeyed back to the sitting area, where Fujiwara-san and Yukimaru-san were sitting. Fujiwara-san had a few papers pulled out.

"Hello, Agatsuma-kun," Fujiwara-san said, speaking in a formal tone of voice, "May Yukimaru and I speak with you alone. Apologies to you, Agatsuma-san."

"Oh!" I nodded, rubbing my hands together, "Of course, I need to do some more cleaning outside."

I bowed quickly, and nodded to my brother before heading back outside. Of course, I had cleaned everything I needed to outside already, but, spending time outside was good for me. I need some fresh air.

At some point, I fell asleep, curled next to the door.

Sometime Later

Honestly, I had no idea how long I was asleep before I heard shouting and felt someone drag me up by my arm violently.

My eyes snapped open in a panic and with my free arm I attempted to hit my attacker only for it to be grabbed too.

My mind was racing, all information went in and out of my head. I vaguely heard my brother shouting and I felt a softer hand grip my forearm, attempting to pull me from the grip of what I presume to be one of them men from earlier.

The chaos seemed to last forever.

And it all ended with a single declaration.

"What on earth are you two doing with two children?"

NOTES:

Ōnisama - older brother - this form shows high levels of reverence

yukata - a light, summer robe

Fujiwara Saburou - a tall man in his mid to late thirties. He has slick back black hair with slight greying. He has dark blue eyes.

Yukimaru Takahiro - a short man in his mid to late twenties. He has slightly messy yet neat black hair and wears glasses. He has dark red eyes and a mole in the corner of his left eye

AUTHOR NOTES

Sorry for the long wait! I've moved so I've been quite busy! I'll try and get a schedule going soon! See you next time~