AU 01 | One Last Mission

╔══════════════════╗

GLORY DAYS
i. ONE LAST MISSION

╚══════════════════╝

synopsis. In which Riley Stark and Natasha Romanoff travel to Vormir in search of the Soul Stone

timeline. Alternate Universe, Endgame

○ ○ ○

   IT WAS RILEY'S IDEA

   IT WAS RILEY'S IDEA. When the team was deciding who would retrieve each Infinity Stone, it was Riley's idea to go to Vormir with Natasha.

   No one expects it from her. She's already been taken to space against her will twice. Why would she want to go back? But she's strangely insistent on it. With her experience and her desire for full closure, she figures she has some leverage over her other team members who haven't been in space before. Third time's the charm, right? One last trip. One last mission. And with Natasha by her side, she's certain it will be a walk in the park.

   No one argues against it, though Tony tries to. He always does. He's been arguing for Riley's safety and wellbeing for years, maybe more than anyone she's ever known. And he's a paranoid man (not that anyone can blame him). Alas, no one is more stubborn than a Stark, especially Riley Stark, so he ultimately gives in. He sends her off with a kiss to the cheek and a stern, "Be careful, or I'm donating your suit to the next Met Gala."

   "Don't worry, old man. I'll be fine," she assures with a bright smile. The others are gathering around, dressed in their matching Quantum Suits. It's nearly time to go. "Plus, I'll be with Nat the whole time. Nothing can split us apart."

   She's optimistic, enthusiastic. Tony hasn't seen her like this in a long time, not since before this whole mess unraveled five years ago. Maybe that's a good sign. He wants to take it as a good sign.

   Tony sighs. "You know I love you, right?"

   "You're acting like we aren't gonna see each other in a minute," Riley teases. "This is going to work, Dad. Good always beats bad. I didn't survive everything that's come our way for this to fail." She lightly punches his arm. "I love you, too, by the way. Probably more than you."

   "Pfft, yeah right."

   He pulls her in for a warm hug, and Riley lets herself lean into his touch. The hug lasts for a while, and it's nice. She buries her face in his chest, his hands brushing over her back gently. He kisses the top of her head. They never do this sort of thing. Not really. But this is nice. She loves this gentler side of him a lot. She loves him a lot.