Summertime in Wakanda | Riley Stark

╔══════════════════╗

GLORY DAYS
SUMMERTIME IN WAKANDA

╚══════════════════╝

synopsis. In which, after the great Infinity War, The Avengers travel to Wakanda for recovery.

timeline. May 2023, Post-Endgame

○ ○ ○

  WE LIVE IN A constant cycle

  WE LIVE IN A constant cycle. It's hard to pinpoint when it starts and when it ends, but perhaps that's why they call it a cycle in the first place. It's an endless loop, one containing perpetually ridiculous situations like birth, death, love, and war. They all have an end, and yet even then, the end isn't the end. It never is. One moment transitions to another and the cycle begins anew.

  Every battle eventually ends; no war is ever infinite (not to be confused with the actual war named the Infinity War), despite it feeling as such. All wars have to end, whether it's through compromise or death, and there must be a defined winner and loser. The losers go home, defeated and shameful, whereas the winners reign mighty, glorious, and dare I say it, avenged.

  But what no one ever talks about is that, like defeat, victory isn't sweet. Winning the war is great, but what follows afterward is sometimes the final boss: recovery.

  The Avengers have endured dozens upon dozens of battles, whether within themselves, against each other, or against the universe. And with every battle they endured, recovery tended to get the best of them.

  The Infinity War was no different. It was far more brutal than any of their past endeavors, scarring them from the inside out. Because of this, the Avengers decided to pack their things and travel to Wakanda to ensure a quicker, more efficient recovery.

  Riley had been locked in prisons, captured by aliens, and broken more limbs than she physically had. But she'd take any one of those unfortunate predicaments over being stuck in a hospital.

  She loathed hospital settings: the smell, the food, the constant pain, the waiting. In a lot of ways, hospitals were just glorified prisons. Maybe she was being dramatic, but hey, when you're a Stark, you get used to getting what you want. And being stuck in a hospital was the last thing she wanted.

  "I'm gonna blow my brains out!" Riley cried out. She sunk in her hospital bed, an almost permanent grimace sculpted into her face. Had she not been restrained by IVs and other strange machines in the room, she would've tried to suffocate herself with a pillow.

  She knew she agreed to this because her body was still suffering from the first war, never mind the second one that seemed to have occurred — in her brain, at least — about a few months between each other. A quick recovery was better than a slow one, but that didn't mean she was going to enjoy it.