AU 03 | Beware the Spider's Web

╔══════════════════╗

GLORY DAYS
iii. BEWARE THE SPIDER'S WEB

╚══════════════════╝

synopsis. In which Riley O'Dair is a Black Widow

timeline. Alternate Universe,
The Winter Soldier — Civil War

○ ○ ○

   RUMOR HAS IT THAT S

   RUMOR HAS IT THAT S.H.I.E.L.D. is involved in some shady shit.

   Well, it's not so much a rumor and more so a fact. You name it, it's in their ledger: alien embargo, human experimentation, nuclear weapons conventions, black market operations. They even smuggled a secret alliance with HYDRA, except it was such a well-kept secret that most of them didn't know it until 2014, and it was so extreme that S.H.I.E.L.D. had to collapse in order to remove the threat.

   When you're in with S.H.I.E.L.D., you automatically make connections with all kinds of people. People who can get you places, people born without their sanity, shady motherfuckers who don't care about anyone other than themselves. Rob and Athena O'Dair were like that: selfish, shady, borderline criminal. They only cared about each other and their careers. Nothing more, nothing less. It made their lives easier, only ever focusing on their futures. They didn't simply go around obstacles; they fully bulldozed through them. Whatever stood in their way was dealt with, including their firstborn daughter, Riley.

   Family means weakness. Family means distractions. So at the first chance they got, they used their resources and managed to make an ally out of a Russian organization called the Red Room. The Red Room's leader, Dreykov, promised the O'Dairs fame and fortune, all for the simple price of Riley. Enticed by his offer, they sold off their two-year-old daughter and never thought about her again.

   The year is 2014, and 13-year-old Riley O'Dair can be found in the only place she belongs: the Red Room.

   Riley wouldn't be the first to say she hates the Red Room. The Red Room stole her away and stripped her of her free will. The Red Room made her bleed, cry, and even beg for death some nights. Most nights, actually. She loathes it and the people and the abuse and the torture and the training and the killing. She hates all of it, even the tiniest details like the cracks in the wall and the creaks in her bedsprings. She hasn't smiled since she first came here. Part of her wonders if she even knows how to anymore.

   But despite her fierce hatred for it, the Red Room is where she belongs. No matter where she goes or who she grows up to be, she will always be branded as Dreykov's property. A Black Widow until death.

   THUD!

   A body slams against the floor as two Widows spar each other. It's a slow day. It's one of those days where most of the girls are between missions, waiting for their next assignment. To pass the time, they're sparring in pairs — everyone except Riley. She sits in a corner alone, as per usual. She twirls a knife in her hand, watching innocently as the fluorescents in the room reflect off of it.