Chapter 5: Sparks Ignite

Varian handed her the vial of water.  She accepted it, but paused before drinking it.  The boy gave her a confused look.  "Is something wrong?"

"We've done this for two weeks.  We need to stop," Cassandra said.

"No, why?"  Varian asked.

"Because he's going to realize what you've been doing," She explained.

He smirked.  "Awww, I didn't know you cared."

She rolled her eyes.  "Well, it's obvious you do.  You've kind of kept me going all this time so...."

Varian pressed his back closer to Cassandra's.  So what if the bars were uncomfortable.  This as close as the could get to being next to each other.  Both of them found it oddly comforting.  It was getting harder to leave every visit.  Varian wished he could just sit and talk with her forever.

She set off a spark in him.  Cassandra gave him reason to keep going, to look forward to something.  She gave him a feeling of protection and warmth, despite her cold personality.  Perhaps he never stopped loving her.  Maybe he was only falling deeper, but how could she ever love him?  He supposed she never would, but for now, he just wanted to be happy.  To have this feeling for a small fraction of time.

Cassandra felt him press closer and she could feel her heart pounding in her chest. Was it possible to fall in love within two weeks?  Maybe she was jumping ahead of herself.  Maybe she was confusing her feelings, but it felt so good.  She liked how he made her feel.  It almost felt, well, dare she think it, magical.  Just with his presence gave her an odd sensation of warmth and protection.

She was never one who wanted to be protected.  She always wanted and felt that she was a protector.  It always annoyed her when she had to be saved.  She was supposed to save them, but with Varian... somehow it didn't bother her.

Without realizing it, their hands were touching each other through an opening in the cell bars.  They noticed at the same time.  Slowly, they both began to intertwine their fingers to hold the other's hand.  They were hesitant, uncertain how the other would feel, but the other never stopped it.  By the end, they were squeezing each other's hand and had turned their head to look at them.

Cassandra had to hold back a giggle, seeing red Varian's face was.  He was blushing like mad and was obviously flustered, but still trying to pretend he was chill.  It only took a moment to realize that she was blushing herself, which made her blush harder.

"I... I-" Varian stuttered.

"You don't have to say anything, we can just be quiet if you want," she whispered.

He remained silent for a moment and they just sat back to back, hands linked.  "So..." he began.  "You do like me?"

"I don't know," she admitted.  "It's..."

"Confusing and complicated," Varian finished.

"Yeah," Cassandra agreed.

They fell silent again before Varian spoke again.  "I should probably go before Andrew misses me..."

"Right..."  Cassandra took her hand away.

Varian slowly stood up and dusted himself off.  "Well, I shall see you next time, M'lady."  He winked and gave a dramatic bow.

Cassandra let her smile as she chuckled.  "I'll be looking forward to it."

He grinned at her reply.  Turning around, he left.  Upon reaching his lab that second as room.  He happily entered the room humming to himself.  As soon he was in the middle of the room, he suddenly heard his door close.  He whirled around to find Andrew standing there.  Had he been hiding between the wall and the open door for him to come back?

Varian chuckled, trying to pretend his heart wasn't still pounding.  "Haha, you got me."

"Right, you screamed like a little girl," Andrew retorted sarcastically.

"Ha, I didn't even scream." Varian set his hands on his hips.

"Yet," Andrew added.

Varian stopped.  Andrew was acting serious.  He had to play this very carefully.  First step was figure out the issue, so play dumb, not that he actually knew exactly why he was upset.  "Is something wrong?"

"Where do you go to eat your lunch?"

"Oh?  Is that it?  I like to eat in peace so I can think.  I usually eat in a closet and I'm not saying which one because then I won't be alone," Varian added.  That was believable, right?

"What's wrong with the room?"

"Chemicals," Varian stated.  "I don't want to get it mixed in with my food.  Plus I'd get distracted too quickly if I was in here.  Why do you want to know?"

"Have you noticed that Cassandra is still fine and she hasn't drank and eaten in two weeks?  It's like she's getting food and water."

"Well, no.  I haven't been down there because I haven't been sent down with food," Varian said slowly and carefully.

"Shouldn't she be dying now?"

"Maybe?  I'm no expert, but the human body can last to roughly forty days without food.  Really depends."

"Water too?"  The man crossed his arms.

"That one is three weeks I think?  Once again, I'm no human body expert.  I'm into the Alchemy of Science if you know what I mean."

"True..."

Varian shrugged as he walked towards his alchemy.  "This is Cassie.  It's going to take longer to break her-"  He froze when he felt Andrew's hand clamped tightly on his shoulder.

"You're a very good actor.  Except for the closest part.  Did you forget that you're claustrophobic?"  Andrew whispered into his ear.

Varian's body went rigid with fear as his eyes widened with horror.  He could feel a chill running up his spine.  Andrew tightly held both his arms, and Varian could feel Andrew's breath tickling his neck and ear.

"Besides, I saw you go into the dungeons."