Chapter 8: Love and Conflict

The night was dark and Varian was still panicked.  She could tell he was still fearful that Andrew might get out and hurt them.  He tried to hide it, but it Cassandra could see right through him.  So, she stayed with him until he fell asleep.  She hadn't meant to actually fall asleep with him in the same bed.

Varian woke up to realizing he was accidentally smothering her.  He bolted up with a shout, which caused Cassandra to jump awake.  They fell off the bed on opposite sides.  He covered his mouth with his hand, his a tomato red as he realized that they slept together.

"Oh my god..."  he whispered.

"I am so sorry.  I guess I fell asleep the same time you did," Cassandra apologized from her side of the bed.

"No, no, it's ok," Varian stuttered.

"Do... do you want to work on breakfast together?"  She asked.

"Uh... sure." Varian nodded.

They got up and went to the kitchen to make breakfast.  Cassandra took out a pot, only for the others to come crashing down on her.

"Cassie!"  Varian freaked out.  He picked a pot off her head.

She laughed.  "Sorry about that."

Varian sighed with relief.  He went to stand up, but before he could, Cassandra kissed his cheek.  His eyes went wide as he looked back at her.  Her face went red.  "Sorry..."

"No, no... I... I like it," he reassured her.  He didn't care if their faces were inches from each other, but it was so easy to get lost in her eyes.

Cassandra leaned in closer, closing the gap between them.  Her lips pressed against his.  Varian instantly returned this kiss, blushing madly.

"Well... uh... does... does this mean we're a thing now?"  Varian inquired.

"Do you want it to?"  Cassandra returned.

"Yeah!  I mean... if you want it to..."

"Then yeah, we are... Perfect way to start the day, am I right?" She chuckled nervously.

"Definitely a big morning.  Us, first day of our freedom.  No more being locked in a cage..."

"And no more strings tied to a Saporian mad man," Cassandra added.

"Free to eat when we please," Varian continued.

"And, frankly, do whatever the heck it is we want," she finished.

"This sounds like a dream.  I've given on hope on an ending like this a long time ago," he admitted.  "I thought I was doomed to the life I was living... even before I lost my dad... the people never were ones to accept me.  You know you're my first friend.  That's not a raccoon, that is."

"Where is Ruddiger?" Cassandra asked suddenly.

"I don't know... Andrew drove him away a long time ago..."

She set a hand on his shoulder.  "We'll find him again."

"Right."  He nodded.  "Shall we get started?"

Cassandra held up a pan.  "Let's go."

After eating and cleaning up, the two decided to go to the throne room to figure things out.  On the way there, Varian caught sight of a balloon landing in the castle courtyard.  "Hey, Cassie?"

"Mhmm?"

"When do you think the princess and the others will be here?"

"Unless they found a form of faster transportation, I say about a month."

"Would the long lost Saporian balloon work?"  Varian looked at her.

"Probably.  Why?"

"Well... we got company."  He pointed out the window.

"Wait, they're here!"  Cassandra moved next to him to look out the window.

"Yep.  I'm still not sure how I feel about her yet..."

"Well, I do.  I'm still pissed!"

"What exactly happened between you two anyways?  You two were super close last I checked."

"I don't really want to talk about it..."

Varian put his hand in hers and squeezed it, telling her that he was there for her.  She passed him a light smile before sighing.  Determination crossed her face.  "We better move fast.  No doubt they won't be happy about Corona's situation."

"Right, we're going to be the ones they blame too," he muttered.

"Abd people that cross their paths are just nuisances she tosses to the side.  She pretends they matter, but in reality, we're just pons in her precious little world," Cassandra spat bitterly.

"Is that what she did to you?"  Varian inquired.

"And she stole my mom!"

"What?!"

"My mom, Gothal...  if Rapunzel didn't... I would have my mom."

"Your mom is Gothal?  I've heard she's shit-er uh... I didn't mean it like that-" Varian stumbled over his words. This was still Cassandra's mother.  It wasn't his best move calling his girlfriend's late mother shit. "Sorry..."

"It's... fine... you were just shocked," she muttered.

It was obviously not fine to her, making Varian felt guilty.  He hadn't even been officially a couple with her for even an hour yet and he literally just insulted her blood line.  Real smooth Varian.  Real smooth.  No wonder why he was alone his whole life.  He didn't know when to shut up, and he always ruined everything he loved.  No wonder why everyone hated him, and now, he was certain, Cass did too.  He would left alone again, and he would have no one to blame but himself.

"Varian!"

He realized he was breathing super hard. "S-sorry."

"Just relax.  Breathe," she instructed.

Varian followed her example and breathed in sync with her.  When his breathing was at a healthy pace, she squeezed his hand.  "Calm down.  You're worrying too much about it.  It's ok."

Varian nodded slowly.  He suddenly tensed when a door flew open and he heard a familiar voice.

"Cass?"