Chapter 6: Not Giving Up

After standing there what felt like forever, Varian finally whispered in a trembling voice. "What... what are you going to do?"

"Don't worry, you're still valuable. I need you to work."

With that said, Varian felt a boot kick into his back. He cried out and landed on his hands and knees, panting. Quickly, he felt a boot kick his side, causing him to roll. Coughing, he tried to suck in some air. There was a rain of multiple kicks. He struggled to be free of the pain, but he knew it was helpless.

Using the wall his back had hit, he pulled himself to his feet as Andrew walked around as if he were his prey. He saw Andrew coming closer through the corner of his eye. He held his hands out, trying to stop him. "Andrew, wait. Let's talk about this-"

Reasoning was not on the man's agenda. He punched him in the stomach, cutting him off. Varian gasped in pain and Andrew slammed the boy's full body into wall with surprising force, making him yelp. He looked fearfully up into his abuser's eyes. "Andrew, please..." he whispered.

Andrew's eyes grew darker. He threw another punch, making the boy's air hiss out of his mouth. "A-Andrew..." Varian pleaded.

Juniper was walking the halls on patrol. A scream caused her her to pull out a sword, but then she remembered what Andrew warned her what Varian had been doing. She put the sword away, ignoring the screams of pain.

◇◇◇◇◇◇

Cassandra was starting to feel anxious. She was for sure that Varian missed their dinner meeting. She could be wrong, but she felt like breakfast was long before. Maybe he just wasn't able to sneak in? Or something happened? She prayed that it wasn't the latter.

Finally, the sound of foot steps reached her ears. No. Make that two. Confusion swept across her face, but she immediately turned her face to stone before her visitors came into view.

Andrew was dragging Varian in by the upper arm, making the boy stumble after him. He shoved him down, and Varian fell. Sitting up, be set his back against the wall and hugged his knees. He turned his face to wall away from Cassandra and Andrew, trying to hide the black eye.

It was too late, she caught sight of it. Cassandra tried to remain calm and not give into the rage that was burning in her stomach. She had to play this cool, for Varian's sake.

Andrew handed her a plate of food after he opened the cell door. She gave him a confused look. The man took it upon himself to explain. "He's been going through so much trouble to feed you, I thought I'd make it easier for him."

"What did you-" Cassandra was cut off.

"You have food. I wouldn't miss your chance. Both me and him aren't leaving until you've eaten," Andrew said.

"What about him?" Cassandra asked suddenly.

"He's been sneaking food for a while,I suppose he can go without for a while." He smirked.

So that was it. Andrew was making her eat in front of Varian for every meal until time was served or the boy begged. However Andrew let it worked. She felt nauseated by the thought and swallowed.

"No, I'm not hungry," she pushed the tray away.

"Shame. Looks like we better get comfortable. We aren't leaving until you've eaten it all." Andrew sat down next to Varian.

Cassandra debated in her head what to do. Finally, Varian spoke. "Just eat it so we're done with this," he whispered.

Sighing, Cassandra began to eat. She turned her back to them, trying to keep the food out of Varian's line of sight. She fought back the waves of nausea, her anger and hatred towards Andrew growing with each second. Finally, she finished the meal. She shoved the tray away. "There, done. You can stop torturing him," she growled.

"We'll see you for dinner," Andrew retorted. Grabbing Varian's arm roughly, he yanked him up. Varian bit back a yelp of pain.

"Get your hands off him!" Cassandra shouted. Andrew ignored her and dragged Varian off.

Cassandra screamed in anger and frustration when she hoped they were out of earshot. She tugged on her chains until she sighed in defeat. Slumping her back against the wall, she looked around the room. The fork with the tray and dishes that Andrew left caught her eye. What if... would she be kidding herself?

Grabbing the fork, she immediately set to work on her chains. After of an hour of fiddling with her handcuffs, she was ready to give up when the cuffs fell off. Gasping with surprise, she rubbed her wrists. The feeling of freedom was short lived when she realized that there was still the cell door to get through.

She couldn't give up. She needed to get out and help Varian. She would keep fighting until they were safe. Was that love? Maybe she really was in love. Either way, she knew she had to save him. It was time she returned him the favor.

Opening the door was quicker and easier because she had a better situation. The door squealed open, but she felt the satisfaction of freedom entering her system. Now she had one thing in mind, and that Saporian better watch his back; because she was more than ready to stab it.