Chapter 2

“-You are so lucky that I love you! If I didn’t trust you enough not to call the police or report you two as missing! Do you know how worried your father and I have been!!” A brunette woman with pale skin and brown eyes yelled at the two 15 years old children. 

The girl, who has dark silver with one long strip of black hair, hides her arms inside her jacket sleeves as she looks on the marble floor. The boy, who has black with one long stripe of white hair, played with his hooded jacket sleeves, not looking at his mom’s eyes. They both knew that they would be in trouble but didn’t think it would be this bad. 

“Arlen! And Amira! Look at me when I’m yelling at you! Do you know how reckless that was? I thought you two had run away or anything...Please, don’t give your father and me a scare like that again.” Their mother said as she sat between them on the couch. She raised her arms and hugged them both. 

A pang of guilt flutters both of their stomachs as they accept their mother’s hug. Both whispered, “I’m sorry.” 

Their mother sighs as she lets them go. “Your father is at work since he couldn’t get a day off. I know both of you don’t want to tell me where you have been. But for now, please go to your rooms.” 

We nodded our heads as we walked towards our room. “Amira, come to mine. We have to talk.” 

Amira followed her brother towards his room and gently closed his door. She went to his bed as Arlen walks over to his closet. On the top shelves, there is a wooden box as he grabs it. Walking back to the bed, he puts the beautifully crafted wooden box between us and opens it. Inside was two more weirdly shaped objects that feathers were covering. 

Amira gently laid the hawk necklace next to the sparrow miraculous then she closed the wooden box.  

“We have been doing this for about 5 years and we only have 3 miraculous… Sigh, should we enjoy life for a while before searching for more miraculous?” 

“No, you can’t,” Mallory said as he went out from his hiding spot inside the sweater. 

“Yes, you both have a duty to do as guardians of the miraculous. And we have your next mission, which is to become mentors to Ladybug and Chat Noir.” 

“What!” We both yelled. 

“Ladybug and Chat Noir are battling against a miraculous holder who turned dark and is abusing a kwami for power. They need help and need mentors to teach them about their powers, rules, partnership, and what to expect to do when the battle is done. And since they are creation and destruction they need powerful miraculous to help them from another miracle box, another balance. In which we, blessing and curse, are the balance from the miracle box of birds. There is no other balance except us to help them.” 

Amira and Arlen were quiet, just taking in the information. They knew there was another balance in Paris but they were too busy fighting the killer for three years to notice.

“We are still learning so how can we be mentors?” 

“Both of you have been fighting for about 4 years and a ¾. You guys are more capable of being mentors.” Mallory said standing on Amira’s shoulders as he puffs his black feathers chest proudly. 

“Yes, now we need to think of how to get there.” Asher said. 

Amira and Arlen looked at each other and nodded, this is their life now. Ever since the junk store, everything had changed for the better. 

“Well, I think it’s time to alternate your parents' memories and move on.” Mallory said hesitating. 

“No!” Both miraculous host’s said. 

“What if we do the international student exchange thing? I heard it’s good and it’s a good excuse to go to paris?” Arlen said trying to think of good options rather than running away. 

“What if the battle against the butterfly holder goes on for more than one year? Our’s longest battle lasted for three years. They don’t even know what the butterfly holder looks like or where they are hiding. They have nothing against him, they're no better than cat and mouse.” Amira said as her feather from her hair slowly started to rise up a little in the air which puff up angrily. 

Arlen reaches over to gently pet her feathers to calm her down from her anger. Between the two, his sister would expose more anger for both of them but can cause her feathers to rise up. My feathers only rise up when the temperature is cold, sick, or rarely it just happens for no reason... But brushing our hair is another difficulty for both of us. We can hide feathers by moving it under the hair but we usually wear hooded jackets just in case. 

Petting her head to calm her down had work. Her feathers slowly went down and she had a blissful expression as she nuzzled against my hand on her head. “Do you want me to brush your hair while we talk?”

She nodded as she got up to grab a brush on his desk where his computer and papers are at. She walked back and moved the small wooden box away as she sat between my legs, her back facing against me. Carefully Arlen moved the feathers around and brushed her hair. 

Arlen can remember it like yesterday when their whole lives started to change. First, it was favoring more nuts, fruits, and meat than other types of food. Being able to sense where your partner is at when the bond deepens. Needing to release magic so that we don't explode because of overpowering magic. And then their feathers appeared fully when they were 13 years old. And, well many more between all these five years. 

“So, what should we do then?” Amira said. 

“... We do the student exchange program, and if the battle goes more than one year then we run away or alternate our parents' memories.” Arlen said while furring down his eyebrows a little. 

“I sometimes hate the rules…” Amira whispers. 

“I know, me too. But it is what keeps us alive and moving.” Arlen said, whispering back. 

They continue to relax against each other as their kwami’s decide to sleep for a little while agreeing towards their plan.