The Sound Of Chains

Chapter 4

Arc 2 Part 1

On the way to the mansion, Subaru kept poking his head out of the carriage windows to admire everything around him and pointing at things with clear childlike enthusiasm in his voice.

I mean, can anyone blame him? Being summoned to another world, especially a world as pretty as this would get anyone excited as hell.

Ram decided to ignore Subaru's antics while Emilia just giggled in response.

"That's dangerous, Subaru!" She warned but could barely hide the amusement in her voice.

"Yea, yea. Sorry." Subaru replied then sat back down with an excited grin still on his face.

"Why're you so excited, anyway?" Emilia asked in curiosity.

"Ah well, it's just that I've never seen anything like Lugunica. The city feels small compared to how much greenery is out here." He said, making comparisons to Lugunica to the concrete jungle of Tokyo.

"Eh? You've never seen this much grass before?" Emilia tilted her head in confusion.

"I mean, yea. But the skies are so clear and the air is so fresh! I can't get enough of it! Oh and did you see that big ass tree from a while back? That thing's huge!" Subaru said as he spread his arms to emphasise its size.

"Ah, you mean Flugel's tree, right? It was planted along Lifau Highway by a wise man known as the Flugel." Emilia explained.

"Daaamn, I'm assuming there are other trees like it in this world?" He asked in awe. Fantasy worlds are the best!

"Ehm. This is the only one in the world, Subaru." She responded.

"Oh. Well, if that's the case, this Flugel must be something else to plant a tree that big." 

The sounds of metal could be heard as the gate to the Mather's Mansion creaked open, letting the carriage inside.

Once the ground dragon came to a stop, the passengers hopped off and the ground dragon rode off back to the Capital.

"Holy shit, this mansion is huge!" Subaru gaped at the size of the building.

"This way, dear guest." Ram said in a tone of utmost politeness as she opened the doors of the mansion.

"Dang, it's even bigger on the inside..." Subaru awed at the sheer size of the entrance alone.

The interior of the mansion looked like it was bathed in golden light. The sheer size of the entrance reminded Subaru of the various hotels he stayed in while hunting for cursed spirits overseas. 

"Emilia-sama, Guest-sama. Roswaal-sama is waiting in the dining hall." She said then opened the door.

Subaru whistled as he looked at the size of the dining hall. Man, when it comes to size, rich people overdo it. Sure, the Gojo Clan was crazy rich but they never lived in crazy big mansions. Then again, none of the big Jujutsu families did either.

"Welcome, my name is Roswaal L. Mathers. It's a pleasure to meet you~, dear guest." Roswaal introduced himself at the head of the dining table.

"I'm guessing you're the owner of this mansion?" Subaru asked.

Roswaal was a tall man with a slender build with his outfit hiding how impressive his body actually looked. His face was covered in makeup. But if you removed it, he would've looked like a classic pretty boy. 

Subaru quirked his eyebrow as he used the Six Eyes to 'scan' Roswaal. He was stronger than he looked. His Mana supply is crazy and he had affinities to multiple elements. However, what drew Subaru's interest was not Roswaal's combat capabilities but instead, his life-force, his od. It seemed older than the man himself. It seemed... foreign. Like it didn't seem to originate from the body itself. Like it was placed there. Roswaal felt odd in every sense of the word. Unnatural. Subaru narrowed his eyes. He'll be keeping a close eye on the clown.