Prologue

A/N: God, this chapter made me cry so much. I hope that you think about the meaning of this chapter of the story and why I wrote it.

Y/n stood in his bathroom brushing his teeth. He was getting ready for the day at his office. When he finished brushing his teeth, he took a shower. After combing his hair, he put on his suit and boots before walking out the front door. He walked to his car and left the driveway before heading to work. On the way to work, Y/n picked up his friends' favorite beverages from Starbucks. When he arrived at the building, his friends took their drinks and left him in the lobby. His face gained a surprised and confused expression. Everyone saw it and watched him brush it off.

As Y/n walked to his office, nobody talked to him which wasn't normal. He didn't make much of it though he was becoming a little concerned. Everyone that ignored him saw his reaction to being ignored. Y/n tried to keep a positive appearance as he walked to his office. When he closed the door, he listened to the staff whisper. He walks over to a drawer and opens it. He sighed softly when he saw the tied noose laying inside. He shut the drawer with a smile. He turned to his chair, walked toward it, and sat down. He sighed before turning his laptop on. He saw a pop-up appear, and put his glasses on.

Y/n: 100 emails. Wow...I wonder who they're from.

Y/n went to his emails and silently reads each one to himself. He leans back in his chair before as he reads the latest one. His eyes fill with tears as he covers his mouth. He stares at the words "we regret to inform you that you have been removed from the company's roster" as he bursts into a full sob. Everyone outside Y/n's office stands up and stares at the door. A few are filled with tears while the rest don't know what to feel. Y/n grabs his large leather bag and places it on his desk before grabbing the noose from the drawer and placing it in the bag. He turns to the picture of him and his daughters. He walks over to it, picks it up, and stares at the cracked glass. He closes the bag and picks up. He walks out of his office and stares at everyone as tears stream down his cheeks. Everyone's face gains a shocked expression.

Y/n: sorry for being a burden to you all *exhales* good luck and good day.

Y/n leaves the building in tears. Most of the staff didn't know why their boss was in tears, but when they saw him leave in tears, they were overwhelmed by shock. The news reported Y/n's mental breakdown to the world. Most figured out why, others didn't. Y/n got in his car and drove home. When he got home to his mansion, he parked his car, and went inside with his bag. He spent the next few hours getting drunk which was impossible due to the nanites in his liver. When he realized it was useless, he started reminiscing about the past and thinking about all of his decisions.

After 4 hours, Y/n looked at his watch which read 8 O'Clock. He grabbed a video camera and a tripod before setting it up in his study. He changed into his Navy dress blues with all of his medals and ribbons before setting the noose up and starting the recording.

Y/n: hey, girls. Even you Lily. This is my...uh...final goodbye. *starts silently crying* I'm gonna miss you. All of you. I'm sorry for not being there for all of you as much as I should have. I've tried so hard to give you the lives you've always wanted, and I failed at it. I've failed so much in my life. I want you to know that I love you so, so much. I know that I may never see you again. I hope you forgive me. And Kelly, I want you to know that I've come to regret our last conversation. I said some horrible things and drove you away. I'm sorry for...everything. I know that you still hate me, and you were right about me. *chuckles dryly* I'm a complete dumbass who let his ambitions cloud his eyes. *two tears fall down Y/n's cheek* I love you so much, and I wish you were here to hold me in your arms, but I know you'll never come back because of my stupid ass. I hope you live a long and happy life. Just please take care of my little girls for me. You're my one and only. It's so hard to say goodbye to yesterday.

Y/n stands up and steps onto the stool before putting his head in the noose. The stool legs snap and Y/n is asphyxiated by the rope, his body convulsing and twitching, his lips turning blue, and his eyes rolling back. The camera ends the video a couple minutes after Y/n's body becomes lifeless and the house becomes deathly silent. A lit oil lantern falls onto the floor, the glass shattering, spilling the oil, and lighting the carpet on fire. Everything quickly begins to burn.

???: the road of grief is paved with sorrow and despair. All you have to do is find a way to escape.