Part 5

PATH OF CHANGE

By Seth Campbell

Part Five

The guardsmen lead me and the mob leader back into the city's walls and up to the center. The center was a citadel built upon an earthen mound with two wings, one on each side, and a set of stables in the rear creating a courtyard.

We were both lead into the east wing of the front, bypassing the system of anterooms that befell those entering through the main entrance. We were lead down the hallway by only the Captain of the guard with two guardsmen flanking from the rear, one for each of us.

We passed through a small foyer and entered one of the two meeting halls. (The other one was for meeting with Viziers) It was a large room with curtains sectioning off areas so people could meet with government officials in privacy.

We stopped just outside one of the sectioned-off areas as the captain turned around to face us.

"The Viceroy will speak with you, first." He directed his stern voice towards the man beside me. He did as he was told and entered.

What felt like an unusually short amount of time, he exited the curtained area with no expression on his face. The Captain then turned to me.

"The Viceroy will see you now." I nodded in recognition and made my way into the private meeting area.

Inside, it was quite cool. The curtains were white and only went up about eight feet. Covered candelabras kept the place well lit. In the center was a table and two chairs, each on opposite sides. In the one across the table from me sat the Viceroy of the Eleventh City.

"Please sit." He directed his hand to the empty chair that was directly in front of me. I sat down.

"Let me just get a few things out of the way," I wasn't liking where this was gonna go. "First, I have nothing against you and in fact side with you wholeheartedly."

I did not see that coming.

"But the fact is that emotions run high and my word alone won't be sufficient to quell the outrage."

"Viceroy, -" I began to state my case.

"Please just call me Calvin."

"Calvin," I resumed. "I'm ready to bear full responsibility."

"And of that I commend you for your sense of duty." He seemed to be trying to reassure me. "But that won't be necessary. While I don't carry the authority and respect to put this destructive conflict to a rest, the Council of Mages does."

The Council was the chief governing body of Niedethel. It consisted of the Viziers of each of the ten great cities, the Viceroy of the Eleventh City, the High Priest of Faihu, twenty additional Archmages, and was headed by the Wizard.

Mastery of the magical arts was a prerequisite for being a member. This rule was born as a response to the ban on magic under the Emperor before the Revolution.

"Now, if I summon the Council," Calvin set his hands on his desk. "It will take time for them all to get here. So you'll have time to surmise your defense argument." I immediately knew I wasn't gonna enjoy this.

"Ugh..." I sighed with the realization of how much work this was all gonna be. I just wanted all this to go away. "Great, Homework." I lowered my head in pain, remembering my assignments at the Academy and burying my purple face in my claws.

"During the intervening time," Calvin resumed. "You will stay under house arrest with a garrison standing guard outside your flat." I looked up, both relieved and partially annoyed. "So you will be safe, I hope." How reassuring of him.