Part 6

PATH OF CHANGE

By Seth Campbell

Part Six

The next morning, we all woke up early to get ready. We all had a small but hearty breakfast before what was to come. After that, I put on a suit, the only one I owned. It was a little old, but it still looked good. (I had to modify the pants to accommodate my tail)

I collected my papers containing my defense arguments, (And a little cheat sheet for the rituals of the legal system) put on an overcoat, and said goodbye to my friends.

"Good luck," Adrian put his hand on my shoulder. Clement just gave me a hug and I hugged back.

"Well, this is it." I gave each of them one last glance before heading outside.

Once I was outside, I was met by the Chief Guardsman and two other Guardsmen. They all walked up to me and nodded as I nodded back to them.

"Mr. Meyers?" I nodded again to the Chief Guardsman as he began to escort me city's center.

Along the way, I was greeted with many onlookers. Thankfully, this time, nobody threw any rotten vegetables at me. That was probably because I was surrounded by three Guardsmen. But they didn't stop some people from yelling various colorful obscenities at me.

At the same time though, there were others who expressed their support for and solidarity with me. Some showed by cheering for me, others with homemade signs giving me words of support, and slowly a few began breaking from the crowds and marched along with me.

Eventually we all reached the base of the Scholar's Arm. We then began our ascent. The hill wasn't too steep or long. After we reached the top, I turned around to see the entire Eleventh City. All eleven arms pointed outwards from the center. I was so high up I could even see over the walls that enclosed the spaces between the arms flooded with diverted with rainwater and dotted with floating villages of poor fishermen. I turned back around and headed directly for the Citadel.

Once we arrived at the gate, the Guardsmen were joined with even more Guardsmen who dispelled the crowd before allowing me to proceed through the iron gates and towards the People's Palace.

Heading towards the imposing Palace, I soon realized that we were heading for the main entrance. I was not expecting this. The accused are never brought in through the main entrance. This would be interesting.

When I passed the front doors to the foyer I was nothing short of blown away by the beauty of the interior. While the side hallways and meeting rooms were simply clad, the main entrance was absolutely opulent. The foyer was wider than it was deep, with two sets of double doors (one on each side) leading to the two meeting rooms.

I went through the opening in the middle, following the chief Guardsman and followed by the other two Guardsmen. Once through, I was in the first of two anterooms, the second one larger than the first. Both were ornately decorated and designed to display the power and might of the Republic. It did its job well.

Upon my exit from the anterooms, I came upon the outer waiting room, filled with people who had a stake in this. Most of them were professors at the Academy, (The ones that weren't already Archmages) and even one guy I knew was in charge of the Knights of Othal.

"He's a guest of the High Priest." I turned around to see Calvin, dressed the same as I saw him last time. "The High Priest is going to give the Argument of Accusation."

"I guessed that much." Calvin briefly looked around.

"I have to go now and get ready. Good luck." He shook my hand and went through a door to my right into a hallway. I turned back around to face the two sets of large bronze double doors directly ahead of me and wide open. The Guardsmen lead me in.