Ch.20 - Tempted

After a while, Cheng Yuanjing came out. When everyone saw that Cheng Yujin was not following him, they asked, "Where is eldest miss Cheng?"

"She is inside, practicing her writing." Cheng Yuanjing said lightly, "She is still young, and shouldn't neglect her study."

This sentence sounded a bit strange. Lin Qingyuan said with a smile: "Jingxing, your change is too great. After the palace exam that year, how many people secretly inquiring about your marriage? Yet you only said it was troublesome, and refused all. Since when you become this patient, even have the mood to supervise your niece's study?"

Many scholars' ideas were to get jinshi, become an official, join the cabinet, and look after grandchildren after retiring. That was ideal, fulfilling life. That's why, teaching the younger generation was an old age's hobby. Cheng Yuanjing was only nineteen. It was way too early for him to start worrying about his junior's study progress.

Cheng Yuanjing momentarily paused, and then evaded lightly: "She has a temperament, if I don't look at her, no one will."

Lin Qingyuan and others naturally thought that only Cheng Yuanjing could control the eldest young miss. If he didn't care, no one else could control her. But to Huo Changyuan, Cheng Yuanjing was saying that except him, no one bothered to care about Cheng Yujin.

Huo Changyuan suddenly had strange emotions. When he and Cheng Yujin got engaged, he heard a lot about Cheng Yujin's situation. He knew that she had been adopted as soon as she was born. Although there was a noble Junzhu mother, Qingfu didn't care about her and only loved the child born from her stomach. Ruan-shi had a real feeling for Cheng Yujin, but her affection for Cheng Yumo was much deeper.

As for old Madam Cheng, she only cared about power and benefit, and was very snobbish. She would dote on whomever granddaughter who was useful and biased towards the one who would benefit the family. Born in this environment, Cheng Yujin actually had a very difficult time.

But she still grew up smoothly, and she grew up to be the model of her peers, showing her tenacity. It was Cheng Yujin's wetnurse who told Huo Changyuan all of these things. She wanted to let this future male master knew how her miss didn't have it easy. However, Huo Changyuan canceled the engagement in just two months, and became one of those who hurt Cheng Yujin.

Huo Changyuan initially resented Cheng Yujin for deceiving him, but at this moment, when he looked at another man who protected Cheng Yujin and cared for her, he felt some dull pain in his heart. As if a treasure he once had in his palm, but he did not cherish it, and now belonged to others.

Xu Zhixian sat for a while. He had come to the inner courtyard to find his maternal grandmother and cousins. The last time he visited, he didn't talk to Cheng Yujin before he left. Xu Zhixian felt uneasy after returning home, and always wanted to have a good chat with Cheng Yujin. Now that Cheng Yuanjing and his guests were talking, he didn't understand much and felt it boring. Xu Zhixian wanted to go inside and chat with his elder sister Jin. He stood up and took two steps. Cheng Yuanjing, who was talking to Lin Qingyuan, glanced: "What are you doing?"

Xu Zhixian was taken aback, and subconsciously stood up straight, answering respectfully: "Go to elder sister Jin."

This kind of proper posture, he only used it when getting scolded by elders.

Cheng Yuanjing's expression didn't change, and simply said, "She is busy, you shouldn't disturb her."

Xu Zhixian rubbed his fingers, feeling tangled. He and the people here were different. He stayed in the inner courtyard all year along and knew that womenfolks had much spare time. After all, they didn't need to study for the imperial exam. Even if Cheng Yuanjing forbade him to disturb Cheng Yujin's study, he didn't take it seriously. Unwilling to give up, Xu Zhixian struggled and said: "But elder sister is alone inside, and no one speaks with her. I am afraid she will be bored."