Chapter 4 - Stage 9

8 years later...

"Yes! I'm officially a stage 9"

Phoebe yelped, jumping up and down after she tried out creating a huge hole in the side of a mountain using only compression force.

"Yes yes, it's been 2 hours now."

Said Argus, placing his hand on his face with a face saying 'will you stop now?'.

"Shut up, you're just jealous you couldn't accomplish as much as me."

Replied Phoebe arrogantly.

"Yeah right, with that attitude no matter what stage you are, you're still trash."

Teased Argus, shaking his brown hair with doubtful expression.

These past few 6 years she helped many test subjects escape, following on destroying the test grounds and assassinating people who are anything related to the experiments.

Although Phoebe is stage 8 for most of the time, she didn't do anything destructive. She wouldn't want to ruin the kingdom, or kill the king, because people will suffer along with it.

Not to mention the already stage 9 prince who guards his father. Instead she'll rely on the plot to unfold itself.

Right now she concluded she's officially a stage 9! And now is just dying from happiness while her friend Argus is dying from boredom.

Argus was an escapee rescued by the resistance, he shared great hatred towards the nobles and imperial family.

Phoebe was tasked with showing him around, then they became really good friends.

After 4 years Vali somewhat became the head of this small resistance hidden in the outskirts of the village of Amnia.

Most of the people they rescued decided to move to the larger resistance group for revenge.

As for the people who remained like Phoebe and the others, were either people who decided to stay or people who couldn't reach stage 3.

"Hey we should probably get going, or we might get lectured by Sir Vali again."

Implied Argus, looking at the darkering sky.

'Yeah, I guess he would be lecturing us if we're late again.'

Phoebe sighed.

"Yeah, true you go back first, I'll have to clean myself up at the lake."

"Alright."

20 minutes later...

'Wo! Nice and refreshing bath!'

Phoebe pushed open the door of the main building to find Vali looking at a paper with frustration, he then lifted his head after hearing the door open.

"Ah Phoebe, congrats on reaching stage 9. Argus told me."

Vali said smiling.

'I'm definitely going to deal with Argus later for telling him before I could'

"Ah, thank you."

"Could you take a seat?"

'Oh? I wonder what he wants to talk about this time...'

Phoebe placed her hand on a chair and pushed it out to sit on it, trying to make herself comfortable.

"The main resistance group had invited me to their conference for the annual meeting of the many resistance groups for the first time, although I'm not sure what they want with a small group like ours."

"Any side adds?"

"Yes, that's why I asked only you to sit"

'Hah? Something to do with me?'

"They asked for the white cloak assassin to join as well."

"Whose that?"

Vali raised an eyebrow.

"Who else?"

"..."

"What a lame title!"

"It's actually a name given by the capital society."

'Huh?'

"They call you that because as long as anyone that is related to the experiment lives outside the capital or is outside of the capital, they won't be left untargeted."

"Dramatic."

'Wow, I got that famous, praise my skills!'

"So would you go?"

"Nope, there's a noble related to one of the major experiments heading out, can't miss that chance."

"Alright, I probably should decline as well then."