The Roses in England

It had been a week since Evan had been transported to St. Mungos Hospital. Refusing to wait in the U.S., the Rose family came with. Hermione had set them up in the apartment building next door. The young minister was unfortunately in a coma because the Cruciatus Curse was way too strong. Johnny and Moira sat on the bed.

"I wonder how he's doing." Johnny broke the silence.

"Evan's a resilient person, John. People come out of comas." Moira shut off her lamp.

===

Hermione held onto Evan's limp hand, listening to the steady beeping of the heart monitor. 

"You daft idiot," She whispered with tears streaming down her face, "We should've fought them together. You could've died. I-I could've lost my husband." Hermione ran a hand through his soft hair. She planted a kiss on his forehead. The witch peered inside her bag at the Father's day card and the positive pregnancy test. There was a knock on the door. A nurse with blonde hair and brown eyes entered with a clipboard. Hermione noticed that when the nurse looked at Evan, a blush rose in her cheeks.

"Are you Ms. Granger? His ex-fiance?" The nurse asked. Hermione glared at her.

"Yes, I'm his fiance," Hermione replied. The nurse glared back and flipped through the pages. 

"The tumor in his prostate became inflamed. Luckily, we removed it before it could truly wreak havoc. Though, it may return." She informed the witch. Hermione kissed her future husband's hand. With one last glance at Evan, the healer left. Hermione stood up, smoothed out her dress, and wiped the few tears she had left from her face. There was a small twitch in his hand. Hermione's jaw dropped. She ran to the door and opened it. 

"Doctor!"

===

Hermione ran up the long hallway to room 28. She knocked furiously.

"We hear you!" shouted Alexis. The door opened.

"Evan is awake." Alexis let out an elated scream. The rest of the Roses came running.

"Why are you screaming?" David's face appeared. His face became worried, "Did he die?" 

"No, he's awake." They pushed their way out. The five ran down to the abandoned department store or for wizards and witches, St. Mungos. The group went up to the elevators.

"Hey! You need to check in!" A healer yelled.

"Family of Evan Gaunt!" Johnny yelled as the doors shut. They sat in silence.

"He might not be able to speak. His throat will be hoarse." Hermione stated.

"Can I talk to him alone first?" Johnny asked Hermione. She nodded.

===

Johnny separated from the group. The only thing in mind was the directions Hermione gave him. Finally, he reached Room 108. Johnny opened the door. Evan stared at the man. His green eyes were hollow; all happiness has vanished from his face. Underneath his eyes were dark bags. His face was thin and unshaven. Johnny pulled a chair to Evan's bedside and sat down. The young minister turned his head to his father.

"How are you feeling?" Johnny asked. Evan blinked.

"Yeah, not a good question." Evan slowly placed his hand on top of Johnny's, which was on the edge of the bed. The man cast a glance down in shock.

"Look, I know you're not one for long apologizes. So, I'll make it quick," Johnny stated, "Evan, I'm sorry for the pain you felt. I'm sorry for ignoring you, for not spending more time-"

"You haven't a need to apologize." Evan's voice came out rasped.

"What?"

"The depth of the love parents give to their children is immeasurable. It is like no other relationship. It exceeds concern for life itself. The love of a parent to a child transcends disappointment and heartbreak. But we all hurt the people we love sometimes. We all let each other down sooner or later. This is why contrition and forgiveness play a part in any relationship. Trying not to hurt each other, trying not to let each other down in the big things, that was as much as anyone could aim for." Evan coughed for a bit when he was finished.

"You've turned into a wise young man," Johnny remarked as he handed Evan a glass of water.

"Well, I had a great teacher." He replied, scratching his beard.

"Your friends are pretty wise then." Evan laughed. He went into a coughing fit and drank some more water.

"I meant you. My school years were very tough on me. It didn't help that I was still coping. But, over the years, I've realized you're all I have left, and I need to hold on to that." Johnny looked at the man with a proud twinkle in his eye. Johnny reminded Evan of Dumbledore.

"You've had quite the accomplishments," Johnny told him, "5% drop in crime." Evan smiled.

"Thank you. Can I see Hermione?" He asked.  Johnny went over to the door and exited. Soon after, everyone came in.

"Evan!" Hermione hugged him. He kissed the top of her head. Evan felt Hemione let out a strangled sob.

"I thought I lost you.' She whispered. He chuckled.

"You won't lose me that easily." The two pulled away. David came over.

"You're an idiot." David looked down at him.

"I know." They smiled.

"You had us so worried." Moira breathed a sigh of relief. Alexis put her hand on Evan's forearm.

"Nevermind me. How are you all? Are you safe? Did they hurt you?" Evan asked. 

"We're fine. Just a ton of questions." Evan grabbed Hermione's hand.

"Go ahead." He looked to the group. 

"Which school year was the toughest?" Johnny asked, recalling his son's words.

(!TW!) 

"The fifth year. At the time, someone had entered me into a really deadly contest. I fought a dragon, saw merpeople, and my uncle rose from the dead. His Death Eaters kidnapped me. They...They took a whip to my back constantly, cast the Cruciatus Curse over and over, even raped me." Evan looked down.

(!TW OVER! A/N: Rape is a serious issue and should not be taken lightly. If you are being raped, tell someone. Or you can call RAINN:1-800-656-4673)

"Evan...You didn't tell me about that." Hermione said.

"I didn't want to worry you," Evan replied. The group spoke for hours with the occasional doctor visit. 

"Evan?" Hermione asked. He was looking a lot healthier.

"Yes?" The witch reached into her pursed and removed a Father's Day card. She handed it to him.

"Hermione, I'm not a father." He mused. She motioned for him to open it. A pregnancy test fell out.

It was positive.

He pointed at her. Then at himself.

"Little us? I'm gonna be a dad!?" He exclaimed happily.

"Yes, Evan. We're having a baby."