Chapter 2 - Debriefing

Yelena's POV
After I finished packing, I decided to explore. I wondered if they had some kind of cafeteria here. I was starting to get hungry.

I wasn't exactly looking where I was going and smacked into Bucky. As I fell backwards, he grabbed my hand to keep me from falling to the floor. I smiled as I stood back up.

"Sorry about that. I wasn't looking where I was going and...."

"No, no. It's fine. I was just about to go down to the cafe to get lunch. You wanna come with me?"Bucky asked. I smiled and nodded.

"Sure. I'm starved."

There were several other people in the cafeteria when we got there. Bucky offered to introduce me to them after we got our food.

"Hey Buck. Who's this?" A man asked. He had dark skin and was wearing a leather jacket over a red t-shirt.

"Hey Sam. This Agent Yelena Belova. She just joined SHIELD and is also the newest Avenger."

"Cool. Well, it's nice to meet you Yelena." Sam said as he walked away.

"Who is that?" I asked.

"That's Sam Wilson. He's Captain America." Bucky replied. I nodded.

"Oh ok."

Bucky and I sat at a table together and started talking about things.

"Natasha Romanoff was your sister right?" Bucky asked. I shrugged.

"Not exactly."

"What do you mean?"

"Natasha and I's parents were both murdered when were just infants. We were given to a couple who worked for the Red Room. The two agents made a fake life for themselves in Ohio with us. Despite them not being our real parents, they really did love us, but we still had to be handed over to the Red Room. In the Red Room, we were turned into lethal weapons, trained assassins. I was also put under mind control so I didn't know what I was doing." I explained. Bucky frowned.

"I was also a trained assassin. For Hydra. They put me under some kind of mind control and wiped my memory every time I killed so I would never know what I had done. I was called the Winter Soldier. Sometimes I wish that I could change the past, but I can't."

"I understand what your saying. No matter where you hide, your past always catches up with you. It never goes away. You will always have the terrible things you have done seared into your thoughts and you can't escape it." I said. Bucky nodded.

"Sometimes you just need to set things right. Or you feel that you should, but your afraid of hurting people." He muttered, shaking his head.

"Yeah."

After lunch, Bucky showed me around the rest campus. As we were walking around, Director Fury cornered us.

"Sergeant Barnes, Agent Belova, I'm glad you two have got to know each other because you guys are gonna be on a team together." He said. Bucky frowned.

"But I'm not a SHIELD agent." He replied.

"Yeah. And I'm a new agent. I don't know exactly what I'm doing yet." I said. Fury nodded.